Hi End Audio?

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
Nickm11

Hi End Audio?

Post by Nickm11 »

Is it possible to use a hi end audio program on my Mac and stream it directly though the server and the receiving box to my system?

If so, can you make it so?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Hi End Audio?

Post by SubJunk »

I'm not sure what you mean by hi end audio. We support FLAC, including 24-bit FLAC.
Nickm11

Post by Nickm11 »

Some software sounds or decodes better, like Mac's Pure Music, Audirvana Plus or others for playback. I guess I'm asking for a really hi end DAC, but that maybe STB specific and not UMS.

As a side questions what would be the best sounding format for audio using UMS?
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Not sure why you don't think 24bit FLAC isn't high end. I use it with my system and it sounds clear and great, but it's no vinyl. This is the article i read back in 2009 that put me on to it and UMS supports it fine http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/speakers ... -bit-flac/
Or just some comparison http://www.whathifi.com/news/high-resol ... ed-to-know from a reputable magazine
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
Nickm11

Post by Nickm11 »

I haven't read the article you posted yet, but I will get to it. Since you get hi end audio, I'm sure you know it's not just how it's recorded or offered, but you know you don't hear the best part of your system, you hear the worst. Encoding is one part, but decoding, the software and the physical part of the system is just as important.

Interestingly I've noticed mp3's sound better streaming from my Mac to my Sony SMP-N100 then they do playing mp3's via my good dvd player. Still trying to figure that one out?

What I'm asking is hi end decoding and the ability to enhance the good parts of the audio. I'm not suggesting one format is better then another, but I've always liked AIFF files for audio. Some software does sound better than others.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I suppose it depends on what the software is doing during the decode of the file. I love my vinyl for it's raw quality, grainy but soft sound. But in FLAC i seem to get a different sound, i think of it as what the recording artist wanted us to hear (like the sound of there movement over the strings of their guitar). I get that from most of my audio files, good recordings, good encode thus a quality sound all via UMS to my receiver. I don't myself use any other programs, but thats up to the individual user, what they want to hear and feel from the music they are listening too. Audio is one of those things thats upto the individual user/listener to decide what they like, someone can spend tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars on a system/systems that they like/love but someone else doesn't like. I've been told that my setup isn't that good, but "I" love it. So your Sony SMP-N100 may have better ability to process the file than your DVD player, i'm not sure. AIFF and FLAC are both lossless formats so they are both good, FLAC is smaller but if you use a mac with iTunes AIFF is a great format to use.
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
Nickm11

Post by Nickm11 »

Great reply, one question, does UMS do AIFF files?
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I think mencoder does but not too sure about ffmpeg. You may have to test it out and report back with the results :)
How Ask For Support
Nickm11

Post by Nickm11 »

I have Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat album. I'm decoding it FLAC and I'll see how it sounds on my system. I like to use that as one of my test CDs, because it's recorded excellent and has some great high and lows.

It would be interesting if we could use some of the hi end software and UMS could simply get the audio directly from that.
Nickm11

Post by Nickm11 »

After some quick testing and not using my best interconnects I'm very impressed. Obviously it wasn't as good as my best CD player, but it's a whole lot better then I expected and beats any CD player I've heard for under a couple of grand and better then my brothers Oppo 95.

My good CD player is an oldie, but I still love the sound. Kinergetics KCD40

The bass was solid and the clarity of trills in the bass was good. The highs seem a bit different, but good. Overall a good clean and listenable sound.

Thanx for your help and input.