Sleep problems on OS X

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
crazysprocket

Re: Sleep problems on OS X

Post by crazysprocket »

Still happening with UMS 4.0.1, Java 8 (u11), and Mac OS X 10.9.4. When the screen on the computer running UMS goes to sleep (just the screen, not the computer), no videos can be started from a PS3. Jiggling the mouse to turn the screen back on, causes the selected video to start playing on the PS3. Browsing folders/files seems to work regardless of whether the screen is on or not.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Could you post a log with it set on trace, hopefully you pick up when it happens. I'd like to see if there is anything in the logs
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
crazysprocket

Post by crazysprocket »

OK, this is pretty wild. After changing the logging level to trace, the problem doesn't seem to be happening anymore (either completely absent or just a few seconds' delay starting a file playing). Wondering if the problem is related to the UMS process blocking on I/O or sleeping, but either the log activity or having the UI visible is waking the process up frequently enough to keep the I/O flowing.

Attaching the log file I got anyway, and will verify later on that changing the log level back to debug brings the problem back.
Attachments
debug.log.zip
(175.39 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Ok when i've retested my OS-X UMS there is no gui function to prevent sleep. Now in windows we have a "Prevent Sleep" checkbox, which works for windows but if your setting the "prevents_sleep_mode" in UMS.Conf i don't think that works for OS-X versions (only windows as far as the code looks to me), setting it for me made no difference. Let me try and find some way of getting it to work.
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
AdamCatalyst

Post by AdamCatalyst »

I seem to be having the exact same issue. To be clear, I have set my computer to never go to sleep, but yet when the monitor switches to low power mode, UMS behaves as if my computer has gone to sleep, and needs a keystroke or mouse movement etc. to wake it. UMS 4.0.0 (4.0.1 will not work for me) and OS X 10.9.4, Java 7 Update 67, through my up to date PS3.
GeJe

Post by GeJe »

darkerthanblack wrote:Hi!

I have experienced same problem. My OS X 10.9.x entered sleep mode(maybe display off), and then after 1 minute(exactly with my external HDD entering sleep, connected by SATA Express card) UMS stopped.
I had turned off Appnap setting and checked 'prevent OS from sleeping when streaming' option.

Before upgrade OSX 10.9, this was not a issue.

Thanks
I can only report that I don’t have this behavior on my Mac Pro (late 2013).
No app nap change whatsoever, and as I noted the previously implemented “prevent system sleep” wasn’t working, I’m simply running a “caffeinated -i” terminal command when reading media.
Not ideal but in the lack of a better solution (a true prevent sleep when reading) it works.
snakebyte

Post by snakebyte »

Hey all,

Has there been any kind of a solution on this issue for mac users.
I'm experiencing the same problem as posted by you as well , so UMS will first play a file as I wake up my Mac through an other application or remote server.
The strange thing is on PMS 1.90.1 ,which I have sometimes running when UMS won't work as smooth as expected , there is a 'prevent system from sleeping' option applied and this seems to work as any file plays directly when started.
Is there any way to implement this function in an update from the the newly released UMS 5.0.0. which further is running perfectly on my Mac on Yosemite.

Thanks ahead for your help and keep up the good the good work :)

Greetssssssssssssssss Snakebyte.
GemaDilemma

Post by GemaDilemma »

Any Solutions?

I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15 (Early 2013), and I am experiencing the same problems. I have all of my sleep settings now at 3 hours and yet after approx 15 mins the renderer seems to pause as if the laptop went to sleep.

G
kane3030

Post by kane3030 »

It looks like the renderer stops when the screen sleeps, not when the system sleeps. Is this what everyone is experiencing?
snakebyte

Post by snakebyte »

Yep this is a familiar situation.
I can connect to my Mac through an remote server app and as soon as the connection is started the files start playing as when I don't connect to my Mac, I will constantly receive a server time out message.
I hope someone can find a solution on this.

Snakebyte