Remote player (WMP) sees UMS on network, but no media content

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
StephanL

Remote player (WMP) sees UMS on network, but no media content

Post by StephanL »

Hello all,
I am basically a media streaming noob, though I've done a lot with PCs and know some network details.
I have installed UMS on a IOMega storcenter 250D (2G ram, 3* 250G HD, 3.2GHz Celeron) with WIN 8.1 as the OS.
Nothing much is going on with this machine as i intend on using it as my media server exclusively.
I have music files on one drive, video files on another. i have added those drives in UMS as shared folders.
I start up windows media player on another machine, and the UMS installation shows up as a media server.
When I click to see content, nothing shows up.
Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
valib
Developer

Re: Remote player (WMP) sees UMS on network, but no media content

Post by valib »

The support of windows media player is tricky. Mostly it doesn't work. Try any other program which supports DLNA like XBMC/Kodi.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

If you're in a full Windows environment, I suggest you map your media drives, and switch to a better player like http://mpc-hc.org/ supporting a wider range of containers and codecs than WMP.
UMS excels when you need DLNA support and tweaks for streaming boxes & smart TVs, in a full windows environment you'll be better of just moving out of WMP.
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
StephanL

Post by StephanL »

Thanks for the advise. Will report what i find.