Odd/troublemome behaviour with multi user computer.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SilverFox

Odd/troublemome behaviour with multi user computer.

Post by SilverFox »

I am running UMS in Windows 8.1. We have two users on this one computer. UMS is set to start whenever a user logs in.
We noticed this odd behaviour/problem:
- The scenario:
1) User "A" logs in. UMS starts.
2) User "A" logs out. Presumably UMS terminates,
3) User 'B" logs in. UMS starts.
4) User "B" locks the id and plays a video through the LG blue-Ray player. Everything is normal.
5) User "A" logs in. UMS icon is in the icon tray. Everything still working normally.
6) User "A" logs out. Computer is still running and not asleep. The playing video on the LG Blu-Ray stops playing. Screen goes blank.
7) Touching enter button on blue-ray remote restarts playing the video from the beginning.
ExSport

Re: Odd/troublemome behaviour with multi user computer.

Post by ExSport »

Don't use option "Start automatically with windows" in GUI as it creates launcher in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" which is loaded for every user profile.
It means every logged on user will start own UMS instance. Due to port collision, in most cases, it breaks UMS completely from working normally.
SilverFox

Post by SilverFox »

I unchecked the "Start automatically with windows" option, and now I cannot turn it on. When I check the box then exit UMS the option keeps getting reset.

How can I get it back on? At least I was able to start UMS when logging on. Now I have to do it manually.

How do I configure UMS to start when the system starts, even when no users are logged on?
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

If it is unselected after restart it seems you are not running it in elevated mode (enabled UAC=user account control) or you don't have required permissions.
To start it for specific user only -> create shortcut manually under required user's StartUp folder (under START->ALL PROGRAMS->STARTUP or in "C:\Users\useraccount\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup")
If you want to start it automatically without user logon -> don't use option "Start Automatically with windows" but rather "Install as a Windows service" which will start UMS without logon requirement.
Beware:
  • Using UMS as a service and also starting it manually or from STARTUP folder automatically as a user is logged on, it will lead to conflicts as UMS (javaw.exe process) is started more than once!
  • When installed as a service, I expect you will not see UMS notification icon (for launching GUI) as service is registered under system account and not your user account so it is not visible for different user. To fix it start "services.msc", find UMS service and change account under which service is running to user under which you will want to see icon and restart it
  • When UMS.exe is started, it is hidden under javaw.exe process on Windows but when started as a service, it is visible as a java.exe process
SilverFox

Post by SilverFox »

I found the solution that I wanted. Here is what I did:

- I installed UMS as a service with the system as the logon owner. (I could not get the UI to show by changing the logon owner, as per your suggestion).

- To make configuration/settings changes I open the UI in any one of the user accounts. This gives me a port collision, but I don't care. I don't want a second instance anyway.
- After making changes I "Quit" UMS.
- Now I open Task Manager and I restart the UMS service.

That's it. I don't anticipate to have to make config changes often, so this arrangement suits me just fine.

With this configuration UMS starts without needing a user to log on, and any user, with the right authority, can change the settings.

I am happy.

Thanks for your help, ExSport!