Also don't show the word "the" on "Ignore the word 'the' while sorting"

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
MrSoul4470

Also don't show the word "the" on "Ignore the word 'the' while sorting"

Post by MrSoul4470 »

If "Ignore the word 'the' while sorting" in the "Navigation/Share Settings" is checked then please also don't show the word "the" anymore.

sorting if disabled:
1. Apple
2. Carrot
3. The Banana

sorting if enabled:
1. Apple
2. The Banana :evil:
3. Carrot

BUT show it like:
1. Apple
2. Banana ;)
3. Carrot

This would make it much easier to read and find stuff. At least for me. So maybe make it optional?

Thanks! :D
michaelt

Please don't do it - it will get ugly fast!

Post by michaelt »

On this I will respectfully disagree - strongly.

The titles are registered and recorded as the studio intended.

To delete "The" makes it confusing when searching and looking online and here. The titles are what they are. Ignoring "The" looking at a sorted listing is easier than trying to fill one in which may or may not be there. We use Collectorz - adapting was fast.

And while on this topic - don't get multilingual savvy, things get really bad faster (e.g. Collectorz):
  • Les Miserables
    Das Boot
    La Bamba
especially if one is monolingual.

If any of this is to be done, it must be per locale and with options, lots of options!

If others weigh in here, you will have a good list of the options and the coding complexity.
MacPro5,1 - 2.8 GHz, 32 GB, 20TB, OS X 10.11.6,
. . . . and a few others.
Samsung UN55C8000
Home Theater (WIP): OS X based now, dedicated Linux later.
MrSoul4470

Re: Also don't show the word "the" on "Ignore the word 'the' while sorting"

Post by MrSoul4470 »

No. I am not talking about changing the titles of the tracks. I am talking about the list of artists and albums when I am using my network player or whatever (the folder structure on my harddisk; I wasn't clear about that). And of course I want artists, albums and tracks be named correctly when a track is playing. I am just talking about browsing through a endless list of arists and albums and the "the" in front is really confusing when it is shown alphabetically in a place where it is not supposed to be. Of course you don't have a problem like this when you use the Media Monkey or something like that on the PC. I think on a lot of audio devices it is an issue.
michaelt

Re: Also don't show the word "the" on "Ignore the word 'the' while sorting"

Post by michaelt »

Understood. Then these are two different issues.
The option you want enhanced is for video titles (and others), maybe there should be (yet) another option to cover your issue. This makes sense.
Note: I only use UMS now for videos.
MacPro5,1 - 2.8 GHz, 32 GB, 20TB, OS X 10.11.6,
. . . . and a few others.
Samsung UN55C8000
Home Theater (WIP): OS X based now, dedicated Linux later.