Sony finally released a media player for the ps4!

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
peejamm

Re: Sony finally released a media player for the ps4!

Post by peejamm »

zuricksaves wrote:This media player is starting to look like an interns project.
How so? As consumers we're trying to make the native PS4 media player do things it's not supposed to do, that aspect of things currently being sketchy is not really anyone's fault. Sony have got the ball rolling on their side by providing the media player in the first place, now it's up to the tech wizards at UMS to make UMS work with what is available.
zuricksaves

Post by zuricksaves »

peejamm wrote:
zuricksaves wrote:This media player is starting to look like an interns project.
How so? As consumers we're trying to make the native PS4 media player do things it's not supposed to do, that aspect of things currently being sketchy is not really anyone's fault. Sony have got the ball rolling on their side by providing the media player in the first place, now it's up to the tech wizards at UMS to make UMS work with what is available.
History: When I saw a the ps4 finally got a player of it's own, I went about cobbling together my own config file and quickly fell down the rabbit hole trying to make my libary work via UMS on the PS4.

One of the plex guys has been whacking away at this religiously and has a bunch of notes about what works/doesn't with this quirky player.
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/ ... ntry968378
https://gist.github.com/mseeley/ba83926642a7d076aa4b

Here is where people like me got confused but quickly figured out what Sony actually means.

From the Sony spec:
Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2

I misread that as h264 and mpeg4 being supported inside an mp4 container. What they mean is, h264 implementation of mpeg4 working. non-h264 mpeg4 inside an mp4 won't work without transcoding.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

peejamm wrote:
I have been working hard at adding PS4 support since their media player was released and it seems very picky about how it receives transcoded content (as Plex has also discovered, according to those links above), and the PlayStation Vita is the same, so I tend to agree that they have taken a step backwards from PS3 which is great at this stuff. PS3 has poor native file support but at least it is not picky about transcoded streams :)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

New version to test: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/UMS/UMS-87d0375.exe
Logs would be very helpful, and if you want files to test, here's a pack: http://sourceforge.net/projects/unimedi ... z/download
jumperzz2014

Post by jumperzz2014 »

SubJunk wrote:New version to test: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/UMS/UMS-87d0375.exe
Logs would be very helpful, and if you want files to test, here's a pack: http://sourceforge.net/projects/unimedi ... z/download
UMS wont detect the PS4 for me...
dator97

Post by dator97 »

from what i can see it has something to do with the time to transcode and so it times out or something similar to this
dator97

Post by dator97 »

to the developers of ums i found a media server that seems to work with the ps4 on most video types idk why but it did i am not advertising it but i believe you should check it out its wms for short
peejamm

Post by peejamm »

dator97 wrote:to the developers of ums i found a media server that seems to work with the ps4 on most video types idk why but it did i am not advertising it but i believe you should check it out its wms for short
Mezzmo seems to work without a hitch, too. Just has problems when trying to burn subs on a transcode (using PS3 as a profile, no inbuilt PS4 profile yet)... Obviously, Mezzmo and WMS are both "paid" progs (and quite overcomplicated for most people's needs) but may be worth looking at under the bonnet to see how they're doing things...
kakemonsteret

Post by kakemonsteret »

I've tried using the PS4 media player to stream from an UMS server running on Ubuntu. Allmost no videos work - lots of AVI and MPEG videos are unsupported, as well as .WMV.

I seem to remember some of the the idea of PMS being that the rendering was done on the server, so that the PS3 which had just about no codec support would be able to play the videos. Is that not the case with UMS? If so, how come that about 70-80% of my videos, of many different types and codecs, fail to play o the PS4 even though every one of them play on the ubuntu machine running UMS?

EDIT: I just saw this mentioned a couple of posts up, so I guess the problem is the i**ots at sony.
dator97

Post by dator97 »

i have playon i can play everything in it on ps4 i just dont have subs with playon so its a trancodething and timeing out