Program won't even open

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
AKluthe

Program won't even open

Post by AKluthe »

I'm unable to get an interface to even open with Universal Media Server. For a second the cursor changes like something might load, then nothing. I don't see anything in task manager or on the task bar or anything like that. I'm running Windows 7 Professional, my Java is up to date and I'm (attempting) to run UMS 5.2.2 Java 8 ver, but I've never had luck getting it to run in any previous version with any previous version of Java. I would be happy to provide any other information that would help! I don't have a debug file attached because I haven't even gotten the program open...
Trell

Re: Program won't even open

Post by Trell »

I would re-download the program and install again.
AKluthe

Post by AKluthe »

Trell wrote:I would re-download the program and install again.
That was actually the first thing I tried, complete with reboot and unfortunately it's done nothing for me.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Please attach C:\ProgramData\UMS\debug.log :)
AKluthe

Post by AKluthe »

SubJunk wrote:Please attach C:\ProgramData\UMS\debug.log :)
I'm not seeing a file with that name. I'm in C:\ProgramData\UMS\ and my options are a folder called 'data', ffmpeg.webfilters, UMS.conf, VirtualFolders.conf and WEB.conf.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

From install dir instead of UMS.exe start/run UMS.bat.
If UMS will start, you incorrectly set HeapSize. Big value leads to memory allocation error so UMS will not start. BAT file starts it with default 768M.
Install process asks you for this size which is then stored in registry:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Universal Media Server\HeapMem
Change it to size which is ok on your computer. How to find out right value I already wrote in past...try searching here for "HelloWorld"