Sony KD-55X8508C

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
peon2t

Sony KD-55X8508C

Post by peon2t »

Hi

Unfortunately I have to share a strange story with you:

For some months I have been using "PS3 Media Server" to stream music to my Yamaha Network Player. Worked ok, still works.

About one month ago I bought a Sony KD-55X8508C (running Android) and could stream movies "out of the box" trough the existing PS3 Media Server - I had nothing to do but to add the folder with the movies. So I was lucky and tought tha life always would be so easy.

Now, some weeks later my "adventure" started. From one day to the next, video streaming did not work anymore. Music still works (on the Yamaha) but video just started for two seconds, made a shrill noise and then stopped. This happened like three times, afterwards even the two seconds did not appear anymore, it just said "loading video" endlessly.

So I tinkered a bit with PS3 Media Server with no result. So I switched to "Universal Media Server" because I read somewhere that this is the better version of PS3 Media Server. Unfortunately, UMS did exactly the same thing like PSM did before: It just gives me a "loading video" screen on my TV.

Now I have been tinkering around UMS for hours and saw the strangest things. Sometimes my TV just tells me that there are no files in the folders, sometimes files show up, sometimes AVI files even play on the TV (often they do not) but my MKV files stll say "loading video". (Once the TV even crashed triing to play a MKV, but usually it just says "loading video" endlessly).

So I am starting to get desperate. Not only that it does not work, it also acts pretty randomly.

Maybe I should add, that the TV shows up four times in my USM:

But even this is a bit "random" because they do not always show up in the same way. Sometimes they are recognized differently, for example not only one but two or three "ChromeCast" profiles.

So even reproducing the bug and gathering Log-Data is not reliable because every time it is somehow different. For example now I am trying to get logs but I can not because my TV just tells me that no media files are found on the server. Restarting the server or the TV does not help but I am sure in half an hour or so the files will show up again but not being played etc... it is just a complete mess.
Anyway - I just waited and later tried again, so you will find attached the Debug log that is produced when I restart the server and afterwards try to open a Sopranos episode with my TV.

(By the way: I already did a complete factory reset of the TV. Did not change anything. I also completely removed and reconfigured UMS with no result either.)
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(143.21 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
peon2t

Re: Sony KD-55X8508C

Post by peon2t »

Ok, I just found a solution - ort let's say a workaround.

I installed "Kodi" from the PlayStore (since it's an Android TV this is no problem) and now using Kodi as DLNA-Client (with UMS as server). It works very well and has much more features than the built it client ever had. So I'm happy with Kodi and don't need to have the built-in client compatible.

I rcommend to anyone who has a smiliar problem with the KD-55X8508C or any other Andorid TV: Have a look at Kodi. This thing is very feature rich. It also can stream media from networks shares (NFS and SMB, maybe more) - so a lot of usere won't even need a DLNA server anymore.
ddasd

Re: Sony KD-55X8508C

Post by ddasd »

peon2t wrote:Ok, I just found a solution - ort let's say a workaround.

I installed "Kodi" from the PlayStore (since it's an Android TV this is no problem) and now using Kodi as DLNA-Client (with UMS as server). It works very well and has much more features than the built it client ever had. So I'm happy with Kodi and don't need to have the built-in client compatible.

I rcommend to anyone who has a smiliar problem with the KD-55X8508C or any other Andorid TV: Have a look at Kodi. This thing is very feature rich. It also can stream media from networks shares (NFS and SMB, maybe more) - so a lot of usere won't even need a DLNA server anymore.

tnx for "workaround.. it works..

i got replay from sony technical support that this series have some kind of problems (i have KDL-55W808c) they have problems with USB ( i cant play via USB and when USB doesnt work DLNA doesnt..) i tried VLC app for TV ( everything works fine) and kodi ( everything works fine)

they said they gonna fix that problem with future updates..