Renderers "freezing" after upgrade to Windows 10

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Amadeus

Renderers "freezing" after upgrade to Windows 10

Post by Amadeus »

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this, but nothing seems to work. Basically, everything worked fine with my setup until upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Now, I get a random 'freeze' while playing video files on ANY renderer in the house.

The debug log looks like this:

Code: Select all

DEBUG 2015-10-09 03:21:13.403 [New I/O worker #10] Connection error: java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
DEBUG 2015-10-09 03:21:13.403 [New I/O worker #10] Premature end, stopping...
DEBUG 2015-10-09 03:21:15.905 [ffmpeg64.exe-5-Cleanup] Stopping process: ffmpeg64.exe-5
DEBUG 2015-10-09 03:21:17.405 [StopPlaying Event] Matched media renderer "WDTVLiveDOWNSTA - currently in use" based on address /192.168.1.18
INFO  2015-10-09 03:21:17.405 [StopPlaying Event] Stopped playing video.mp4 on your WDTVLiveDOWNSTA - currently in use
DEBUG 2015-10-09 03:21:17.406 [StopPlaying Event] The full filename of which is: D:\++Other++\video.mp4 and the address of the renderer is: 192.168.1.18
DEBUG 2015-10-09 03:21:17.406 [StopPlaying Event] Resume stop. This segment 467218 new time 2141115
DEBUG 2015-10-09 03:21:21.456 [UPNP-WDTVLiveDOWNSTA - currently in use] Action failed: Error: Current state of service prevents invoking that action. Connection error or no response received.
As far as I can tell, it's this same error each time it happens (regardless of the renderer.) In this instance, it was a WD Live renderer.

It's also VERY random. Sometimes the file plays from beginning to end, sometimes it happens just once ....and sometimes it happens more than once. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to the cause.

Anyway, it's just really annoying because it started as soon as I updated the computer to Windows 10 and that's really the only thing that changed. Can anyone think of anything different between 8.1 and 10 that would cause this?

(Note: My java version is the latest.)
skydivinggeek

Re: Renderers "freezing" after upgrade to Windows 10

Post by skydivinggeek »

Try upgrading your network card drivers and Video drivers, if you use the stock standard drivers from Microsoft you may experience issues.

Also is this wireless or wired??

Generally freezing from my experience has been network related as the render is not able to buffer enough data. Which can be related to a buggy network card driver or bad network configuration.

Also make sure you have ran windows update and updated Windows.

Also try uninstalling Java and reinstall freshly and make sure you run it as administrator.

UMS is great as long as Java is ok and Windows is not affected by other issues especially networking.

You can also watching the same vid off a Windows share and see if it still fails. If it still fails its most likely not UMS.

Hope this helps and give more information as this may help.

Andy
Amadeus

Re: Renderers "freezing" after upgrade to Windows 10

Post by Amadeus »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually reinstalled Windows 10 fresh (not as an upgrade from windows 8) and tripled-checked that my java version matches the UMS version I downloaded. Error still occurs.

What's more odd is that I also started running UMS on a linux box on my network and the SAME error occurs. Which, is rather odd considering that the error only started after I installed Windows 10 on my primary computer.

The error is happening on 3 different renderers (two WD Lives and one television); however, it happens a lot more with the WD Lives.

Anyway, the only thing I can imagine is that somehow Windows 10 is causing the WD Live to do something funky, just by being on the same network with it. I guess the next thing I'll do to test is power down the windows 10 computer completely and stream from Linux and see if it stops. If that doesn't help, then I think I'm going to edit the source to UMS and see if this error can be bypassed in my case. I'll let you know in either case.