Connection errors with Roku 3

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Strawberrygrl

Connection errors with Roku 3

Post by Strawberrygrl »

Hi all. I am new to the Universal Media Server thing, so I apologize. I am having big problems trying to use UMS on my Roku 3. There seems to be a connection issue. UMS will appear in my list of servers, then I go to click on a compatible video, it hangs at "retrieving", then the Roku gives a connection error if it is a small file (a half hour video), or just hangs at "retrieving" for larger files (an hour long video). The status of the UMS server always shows as connected and the unknown renderer remains listed there, but every time I get a connection error or it just hangs and none of my video files are playing. They are mp4 or MKV, so they are supposed to be supported by Roku. The log just says that it starts a video, then stops it, then the renderer is not recognized continually. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Strawberrygrl

Re: Connection errors with Roku 3

Post by Strawberrygrl »

Sorry. Forgot to include the attachment of the log.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(50.15 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
Ironclad17

Post by Ironclad17 »

Having the same issue with a Roku 2
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Ironclad17 wrote:Having the same issue with a Roku 2
Can you provide a log? See Forum rules above.
Ironclad17

Post by Ironclad17 »

Right here you go.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(45.37 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Your issue is a little bit different than the previous one. Your Roku is sending two different User-Agent info from the same IP addres 192.168.1.5. One is

Code: Select all

User-Agent: Roku/DVP-7.0 (067.00E09021A)
and second

user-agent: Roku/DVP-5.6
You also set the default renderer to "Roku 3 (NSP 5)". It will be better to set default renderer to empty (Unknown) and make new renderer.conf. Simply copy the file Roku-Roku3-5.conf to the new file Roku-Roku3-7.conf and change the RendererName to

RendererName = Roku 3 (NSP 7)
and UserAgentSearch to

UserAgentSearch = Roku/DVP-7.
Than the Roku 3 (NSP 7) should be automatically recognized. Test it and give us a feedback also with new log.
Ironclad17

Post by Ironclad17 »

I did everything you asked and doublechecked that my firewall wasn't interfering, but no changes. I did learn that audio files play with no issue though. This time it was having trouble detecting the roku boxes as well. It won't display media renderers but the roku boxes can find the media server despite that.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(125.75 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

It seems to me that you have running two instances of the UMS. Do you have installed it as a service? And what is the reason that you set the exact network interface and IP address? Does the UMS have a problem to recognize them?
Can you provide here your new Roku-Roku3-7.conf?
Ironclad17

Post by Ironclad17 »

Whoops, I thought the run only one instance setting would include the windows service. I was getting firewall issues, so I thought assigning the network info might resolve that. Disabling the windows service seems to have fixed that issue at least. I just copied Roku-Roku3-5.conf and changed the RenderName and UserAgentSearch.
Attachments
Roku-Roku3-7.conf
(1.69 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

If I understand you well we can make that issue as solved.Your .conf file will be included in the next release.