Stupid question.. accessing ums files from another pc on the home network?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Gareee

Stupid question.. accessing ums files from another pc on the home network?

Post by Gareee »

I could have swore I did this on our gaming pc in the house before. I recently got a surface 4 pro, and I can see universal media server, and also can see the folders in it, but when I browse into any folder to play a song or video, they are blank.

Is there something I need to setup on the surface to play the files ums is serving?
Nadahar

Re: Stupid question.. accessing ums files from another pc on the home network?

Post by Nadahar »

See the text in red above. It's probably due to the renderer profile UMS selects for the PC, but without debug files all we can do is guess. WMP does NOT work with UMS though, if that's what you're trying to use.
Gareee

Post by Gareee »

I didn't think there would be a debug report, since no files were selected for playback. I'll check and see whats listed, and its probably been two years since I tried to play a media file from a host ums pc to another on the home network.. usually I just use the ps3 or ps4 for media streaming, but I figured I could use ums to steam some music playback in the background while I was working on the surface.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There's still information to be found, especially what renderer configuration is loaded and why the files are hidden.

UMS also has a web interface default on port 9001 of the UMS computer's address that you could access.
d2produce

Post by d2produce »

Ok so no1 answered the question... How do you access 1 pc's files from another pc using the web interface. My first pc has all the directories listed when I open the Web interface on it, but when I open the web interface on my other pc... it has no folders. How do I get my first pc's folders to display on my second pc?
d2produce

Post by d2produce »

Nevermind I figured it out for myself. For anyone wondering, all you have to do is... after you click the Web interface button on your UMS running on your media server.....simply copy and paste that link to your other pc and you will have access to those files.