Volume Normalization

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
civ

Volume Normalization

Post by civ »

Is there any way to force volume normalization?

You know, when you can barely hear dialogue but action scenes are blowing up your speakers? I'd love to fix that. :)

Edit: If it matters, I forgot to mention that I'm streaming to my PS3.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Volume Normalization

Post by SubJunk »

Often audio receivers have an option like that, and the PS3 might also have it
ums_rules

Post by ums_rules »

No it doesn't. Only for music. This would be a great feature to implement!
Tumatutuma

Post by Tumatutuma »

Didn't want to create new topic so I decided to ask for some help here.
In my case the situation is opposite: normalization ALWAYS works regardless of my will. However, it doesn't seem to affect decoded DTS tracks (768, 1536). Is there a way to turn off normalization?
P.S. I have simple analog stereo speakers.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Normalization is not and has never been a feature of UMS. It isn't even supported in any of our players - the feature is broken in MEncoder and it was never in the others.
It's possible there is a setting on your renderer or audio system that is doing it
Tumatutuma

Post by Tumatutuma »

SubJunk wrote:Normalization is not and has never been a feature of UMS. It isn't even supported in any of our players - the feature is broken in MEncoder and it was never in the others.
It's possible there is a setting on your renderer or audio system that is doing it
Could you tell me where I should look for the "culprit" program/application/...? By "renderer" do you mean K-Lite Codec Pack, Media Player Classic or something else?
BTW, I watch all movies on my PC without any normalization. So logically there is no way PC transcoder can mess with audio settings and output signal, right? I guess, the same goes for my speakers.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

None of the default UMS engines use codecs; only AviSynth ones and UMS won't use those unless you specify them manually. So I think the normalization is happening either on your audio receiver (your amp or whatever) or the renderer (like PS3 or Xbox).
I've seen AV receivers do it with presets like "Movie Mode" or something so it may not even tell you explicitly that it's doing it.
Tumatutuma

Post by Tumatutuma »

Thank you for the answer! So as far as I understood PC has nothing to do with it. I'll try to look into my PS3 settings as it seems to be my only option (no amp for my speakers).
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Just to touch on this: I have a Yamaha Receiver that's like 2 years old... and when set to movie mode it is lower then when i set to to Direct5 or Direct2 channel, I think i even see the PCM light turn on or is it Strait 2.. Strait 5... either way i found that setting to eb the loudest...

I would troubleshoot with a Decibel app on your phone, maybe? and cycle though the different Room Environment settings (that's what they're called on mine..) and see whats up.

You could also compare the two files from your PC with, maybe the files were created with different volumes?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4711 ... -identical

Might help... :\