Missing subtitles since v 2.x [2.2.4]

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
squadjot

Missing subtitles since v 2.x [2.2.4]

Post by squadjot »

Hi, some movies comes up without subtitle, even if there's one present as srt.
It's been like this since v2
For it to work, i have to manually select #--transcode--# xxx [SubRip/External subtiles]

Debug file

Edit: I forgot to mention, that i offcourse tried the latest v 2.2.2
Last edited by squadjot on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
squadjot

Re: Missing subtitles since v 2.x [2.2.4]

Post by squadjot »

It seems like UMS detects the subtitle as T3XG instead of Subrip, and thereby it fails.
Sadly this bug still occurs with the latest UMS 2.2.4 / Win7 32bit on Intel Atom D525 NM10
Attachments
ums_dbg_2.2.4_subtitle.zip
(14.95 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

I don't understand what is your problem. If you are able to play subs via transcode folder then it works ;-)
MEncoder in debug.log shows that subtitle language tag is missing=und:

Code: Select all

stream 2: subtitle (mov_text), -sid 0, -slang und
It means subs are not played/loaded automatically.
I am not sure if defaults for subtitle priority changed but your setting is empty. Try to use "und" as a preferred sub language if subs will be loaded automatically without the need browsing to transcode folder.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

My problem?

I'm simply stating this file won't play with subtitles by default, which is odd..i never encountered problems with subtitles not showing up before, ever.
And this file played fine with default mencoder somewhere before 2.2.0

So, yeah i think it's worth reporting ( i'm really trying to help, not only complain, but i'm not getting much in return here... )
I've seen others mentioning it aswell. But afaik no developer has responded, or questioned it sofar.
Btw "und" is on my list of preferred languages.. now its "und,eng,fre,jpn,ger,und" - but still does not work

I'm not an expert, but why should "und" be erronous, its a srt file, how should UMS know its language?
As mentioned, it since this TX3G thing came into play that this issue started (i never saw that in #--transcode--# folder before, that TX3G thingy.. and when i select that, the bug reproduces exactly..)

Oh, and no.. I don't see doing trial 'n error on files via #--transcode--# folder is optimal.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

We do appreciate your bug-reporting, squadjot, thanks a lot :)

I'm looking into the bug now and I think I know what went wrong.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Thanks !, that's all i wanted to hear ;)
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

You don't understand me 8-)
I thought subs works ok when you manually choose them in TRANSCODE folder but they are not loaded automatically when played outside this folder.
So subs works but they are not loaded automatically outside TRANSCODE folder. I understood it this way.
Because I asked if you can define UND as preferred subs if they will be loaded automatically. But it seems SubJunk is aware of some bug present in latest versions :)
How to tag SRT subs? If they are embedded in MKV, you have to use e.g. MKVTOOLNIX to tag them with correct language code.
If it is an external file, you need to name them correctly.

Code: Select all

Movie.avi / Movie.mkv
Movie.de.srt
Movie.en-forced.srt
[/size]As you can see the name of subs must be exactly same as movie + "." + "2-char language code - ISO 639-1" and optionally + "-" + "special string"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes
Special string defines e.g. "3D", "forced", "singing" etc. which can be useful tag when listing TRANSCODE folder or how UMS can detect "forced" subs.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Please clarify what it is that you think i need to understand?
I thought subs works ok when you manually choose them in TRANSCODE folder but they are not loaded automatically when played outside this folder.
So subs works but they are not loaded automatically outside TRANSCODE folder. I understood it this way.
This is exaclty what i'm trying to say.

Anyways, i got the answer i wanted =) - looking forward to test a possible fix to this.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

If I understood it right it means subs are working, MEncoder is able to burn them in video. Only problem is they are not loaded automatically.
So this is not true:
It seems like UMS detects the subtitle as T3XG instead of Subrip, and thereby it fails.

If subs will fail, MEncoder will forcefully close and you will not be able to play them directly and also via TRANSCODE folder. Because I asked what is exactly the problem 8-)
What you should understand was that I weren't complaining with you about posted bug/problem but what exact problem it is so I can help.
From description it seemed to me problem is wrong language tag and not bug in UMS. We will see what SubJunk found :idea: