Sub-folders???

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
alfaslide

Sub-folders???

Post by alfaslide »

UMS can not see the subfolders. How can it be done?

I find this feature indispensable.
valib
Developer

Re: Sub-folders???

Post by valib »

I don't understand how it is possible because it is a standard feature. Please follow instruction at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
alfaslide

Post by alfaslide »

I explained myself badly, I meant that UMS see the subfolders... but I would like it to sound files in those subfolders without having to open them. An example: I have folders devoted to musical genres. For example I have the "Soul" folder and inside there are folders of Otis Redding, of James Brown, Aretha Franklin etc ... but if I want to listen to all the Soul music mixed can not. UMS tells me that there are no multimedia files in the folder. In fact, there are sub-folders ... but UMS does not read those files. I can only listen to the files that are contained in a folder but not the ones that are in subfolders.
alfaslide

Post by alfaslide »

Please, nobody help me?
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Please follow the instruction link Valib gave you.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

If I understand you well you are looking for something like Media database. In the UMS it is called "Cache" (maybe it is time to rename it). You can Enable the cache and disable the Hide the "Cache" folder at the Navigation/Share Setting tab. Than you can see in the root folder the #- Cache -# subfolder where are "Audio", "Photo" and "Video" subfolders. In the "Audio" folder is also the "By Genre" subfolder in which the subfolder "Soul" should be if some audio files have the Genre tag set properly.
alfaslide

Post by alfaslide »

valib wrote:If I understand you well you are looking for something like Media database. In the UMS it is called "Cache" (maybe it is time to rename it). You can Enable the cache and disable the Hide the "Cache" folder at the Navigation/Share Setting tab. Than you can see in the root folder the #- Cache -# subfolder where are "Audio", "Photo" and "Video" subfolders. In the "Audio" folder is also the "By Genre" subfolder in which the subfolder "Soul" should be if some audio files have the Genre tag set properly.

hello Valib, I want make a for a slideshow and I would to play the images that are in the subfolders.... Sometimes I would to play the files in only one folder, sometimes I would to play the files in some folders, sometimes I would play all the files in all folders....
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Unfortunately that features are not implemented in the UMS. You can try to make the m3u playlists with the files you want to play.
alfaslide

Post by alfaslide »

But dear friend.... "unfortunately"?

It seems to me absurd.

All those who have a photo archive have divided into subfolders!

And all these have hundreds or thousands of photos.

we should move all the images in a single folder? Unacceptable.

Possible that I read so many people asking questions about esoteric subjects, but this requirement is not common to ALL?

I can understand that there will be some technical issues for which a feature so obvious is impossible to achieve. But I can not accept anyone asking this feature! That all are surprised when make a request so obvious!

Excuse the outburst, but it seems to me a world of crazy!
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

I don't understand why do you react in such way. Nobody force you to put images in one folder. I have also my photos divided into sub-folders. The problem is that the UMS is a media server and you evidently don't know what it means. The media server does only what the renderer is asking for. To play media also from sub-folders is the renderer responsibility not the UMS that is why I offered you to make a m3u playlists as a workaround. We can discuss with other developers if could be possible to implement such feature but now I don't have any idea how.