Do my Neighbors have Access to my UMS?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
d2produce

Do my Neighbors have Access to my UMS?

Post by d2produce »

Hi so I there are lots of renderer's on the list one of them being a Samsung Smart TV of which my family owns none.

Are my neighbors able to see my UMS? Are their devices listed? Can they access my media from their wifi? or is it localized my my Wifi?

Also why can't I right click on each renderer and select something like Block?
radamanthyspl

Re: Do my Neighbors have Access to my UMS?

Post by radamanthyspl »

Pretty sure that unless they are logged in on your router, there's no way they can access your media server.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

radamanthyspl wrote:Pretty sure that unless they are logged in on your router, there's no way they can access your media server.
Agreed.

You can control which devices can connect, you can also control which folders a render can see.
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... d-Security

d2produce wrote:Also why can't I right click on each renderer and select something like Block?
Not a bad idea, maybe you should suggest this as a new feature ? 8-)
Supermanfan77

Post by Supermanfan77 »

squadjot wrote:
d2produce wrote:Also why can't I right click on each renderer and select something like Block?
Better yet how about a feature that allows you to just select the render you need instead of blocking unwanted renderers? Oh wait, I think that already exists ;) :lol:
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Supermanfan77 wrote:
squadjot wrote:
Better yet how about a feature that allows you to just select the render you need instead of blocking unwanted renderers? Oh wait, I think that already exists ;) :lol:
Just some thoughts..
I'm connected to a WiFi extender and for some reason my IP changes relatively often (every day) so setting a whitelist based on IP would be impossible.
The same problem would go for the devices you want to block. And also you could get up blocking adresses that later become "free" and ultimately assigned to other devices.
jj123

Post by jj123 »

If you are seeing many devices that are not yours then my guess is Yes, your neighbors probably are able to see your UMS.

And what's more they are probably using your broadband connection too!

Check your wireless routers security settings that you have WPA2 enabled, might also be worth changing your routers password.
mloyola

Post by mloyola »

I though I would chime in and provide a potential alternative that I use

Rather than opening Port 9001 on your router for external access, why not access UMS through VPN. There are many routers that support the ability to install opensource firmware. The firmware allows you to create VPN server of your choice

PPTP - not so secure however you can do your research
or
OPENVPN - much more secure a little more work required to configure

Regardless the idea behind VPN is to access UMS through a secure Tunnel externally using http://192.168.X.XX:9001 a internal IP accessible through VPN connection, for more information on OpenSource firmware please visit
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

I use this this solution to this day and works flawlessly for me without any buffering or loss in video quality.
OzBrickie

Post by OzBrickie »

Jesus man. If they can get past your router you have a lot more problems than right clicking on your UMS gui will ever solve.

If, after all that, you're fucking around with VPN access to your network and on top of that don't understand port forwarding then shut it down bro, shut it down.