Missing subtitles since v 2.x [2.2.4]

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Madoka

Re: Missing subtitles since v 2.x [2.2.4]

Post by Madoka »

One thing I noticed as well is that, the default settings has *,* in the audio/subtitle priority which breaks the patch to prefer extenal subtitles to internal. I got the patch to work after blanking out *,* and leaving the audio/subtitle priority field blank.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

To me it seems the problem is fixed with 2.2.5!

Madoka, how is 2.2.5 working for you regarding missing subtitles?
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I must admit that I've been fortunate and that I'd never had external subtitles not load (after adjusting the settings in UMS).

I do get the occasional fast disappearing subtitles though. But this I mean if there is a complicated line that should stay on the screen for 10 seconds (I'll look at the .srt to note the time), they will disappear after about 4-5 seconds. I can pause UMS after the sibtitle disappears, play the same file on the same computer that UMS is running on, and see that the subtitles will stay on longer. Since the subtitles do show, this is just more annoying than anything else as I usually haven't read the whole line yet.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Ok, well i think there's still a problem. Or atleast a priority issue.
It seems like UMS prefers the embedded subtitle over the external.

My argument is that, if a user did the effort to find/download a specific subtitle as SRT, then that should be preferred over the embedded. (If the embedded were sufficient subtitles for the user, he would probably not have an SRT in the first place)

Edit: I'm specifically talking about the scenarion where you just have the srt file untagged, with the same name as the movie.

<moviename>.avi
<moviename>.srt
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I'm able to play a movie with external .srt subtitles that has embedded subtitles in a language I can't understand. I have it set up like you presented as movie.mkv with movie.srt.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Madoka wrote:I'm able to play a movie with external .srt subtitles that has embedded subtitles in a language I can't understand. I have it set up like you presented as movie.mkv with movie.srt.
Ok, interesting. maybe it's only embedded eng subtitles that will override external <movie>.srt ? (because of the subtitle/language) priority

Normally my external subtitle is danish, and thats my problem lately. That files with embedded eng subtitles override my external "whatever"/language.srt
Axcio

Post by Axcio »

I also am experiencing the same issue.

I have followed this thread, which has worked as far as getting the external SRT's working as the embedded was overriding...
My problem is that the subtitles soft coded are using special fonts with SSA Codec... I have to go through a bit of a process to export a SRT file for these files, and remove the embedded subtitles. On top of that, when a subtitle hits a change in fonts, it shows the font tags all over the subtitle.

My PS3 plays the embedded SSA subtitles fine, but on the other hand, my samsung allshare device does not
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Hi Axcio, thanks for backing me up on this :)

Since ExSport mentioned the language/subtitle -priority thingy, i found out that it definately played a role. (All of the sudden)

For now i actually have it working as i would expect.

I simply emptied the default settings having both
"Subtitles language priority" and "Audio/subtitles language priority" and "Forced language" -fields completely empty

Which fields will specifically do the trick, i dont know, but since i have VERY basic needs when it comes to subtitles, that is, i just need the SRT to play regardless, and with the fields empty, that seems to be the case.

Edit:
Again, this seems to be logical, cause untagged srt is basically UND (hmm i wonder if you can use und in sub/lang priority? - that would work also?) And since a embedded eng subtitle exists, that gets chosen... nothing wrong with the logic. My argument is still, if you are noob user, and you've done the effort, and placed a <moviename>.srt next to your movie..that's the sub that gets played. Advanced users with multiple sub/lang needs, will propably tag correctly, and be able to setup proper priority syntax anyways. - I would just be worried to bring buggyness on noobusers
Axcio

Post by Axcio »

Blanking out those fields did not change anything for me.
If possible I would like to get the MKV embedded subtitles going again. I just can't figure out why it works fine for my PS3 and not my Samsung Allshare.

EDIT: just spoke with samsung support, apparently they do not support embedded subtitles. Is there any way around this or am I forced to use SRT's/hardcode
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

squadjot wrote:I simply emptied the default settings having both
"Subtitles language priority" and "Audio/subtitles language priority" and "Forced language" -fields completely empty
I have problems with anime with the fields blank. I have a series in AAC with Hi10PAVC encoding with embedded English subtitles. If Subtitles Language Priority is blank, UMS will attempt to stream it over, and I will get sound (listed as AAC), but a black screen as the PS3 can't do Hi10AVC, if I understand correctly. If I put "Eng, Und" in the "Subtitles Language Priority", UMS will transcode it over with Mencoder with normal sound/video with subtitles. I do blank out Audio/subtitles Language Priority as that allows external subtitles to override internal subtitles. Perhaps if you replaced Eng with your language of choice, it would work?