having problems with Java

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
snakebyte

Re: having problems with Java

Post by snakebyte »

cinephile,

Your using a mid 2010 machine which is able to run OS Sierra as it meets the minimum requirements as long as you have 8 Gb free on your HD.
So see what options you have for updating as this gives you more benefits in for example security reasons and the most up to date versions of programs such as UMS for example.

@Nadahar , I see where your opinion is based on :D :D :D
You're right regarding Java.
There is no support from Apple after 6.- ,so cinephile when installing Java 7 or 8 you indeed have to get it from the Oracle page.

Greetsssssssss

Snakebyte
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

I'm a bit confused. I can get OS Lion for free or I'm just able to do it because my Mac meets the system requirements?

There seem to be a lot of Java versions with different names (Oracle, Environment, SE, EE,...). How do I know which one is good enough for UMS?
snakebyte

Post by snakebyte »

Well the Apple site says Lion will set you back €20,-

When however you can update for free through software update ,then it's even better.

When upgraded to Lion every following upgrade is free in each case.

On the Oracle site you better choose JRE which stands for Java Runtime Environment instead of JDK which is Java Development Kit which takes more mb and is not adding any functions for a user.
Correct me if I'm wrong on that one Nadahar.
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

Thanks for all the advice and info! For now I will be trying to see what I can do with the UMS version that I currently have before trying to update.

Please move to the following topic if you wish to further help me: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9112&p=29271#p29271