Can't Download UMS - NIS2012 problem

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
MCalbert

Can't Download UMS - NIS2012 problem

Post by MCalbert »

hello guys

First off, i was wondering were everbody was :p so this is where you all went.

anyway great to see the good work continue and good luck with the new project.

Right now to my problem.

It's a Norton security problem, its removing the program UMS before i even get a chance to install, telling me it has a bad reputation :evil: , lol

I know it's because the UMS is new and has not much users but any ideas how to get UMS on the good program list so i can download and use it.

thanks for any help with this people and again keep up the great work.

MCalbert
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Can't Download UMS - NIS2012 problem

Post by SubJunk »

Hi MCalbert, welcome to the forum, yep we've been hiding out here hehe :)
I'm not sure about that since I don't use Norton, but it's pretty shocking that they would implement a feature like that in their program. I can understand making it so users can mark a program as dangerous, but having every new program be assumed to be dangerous is really weird :s
This thread might help
MCalbert

Post by MCalbert »

Yep it's pretty bad when you can't download a prog and choose to run it or not, lol i'm a big boy now and can make decisions for myself :P

anyway i will have a look at the post you found and hopefully it helps :roll:

cheers again
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Good luck :)
S7eele

Post by S7eele »

Development team:

Not sure whether this info is wanted or at all helpful but I had some time. I doubt you can do much about the issue at hand, just have to wait until UMS is world renowned and problem solved. Just a matter of time ;) . Anyway, it is the "Insight Protection Module" that is removing the file(s). Something weird is that my only downloads from the repository before today were "UMS-1.0.1.exe" and "UMS-test3.exe" and I do not remember having a problem with either one :?. Today I downloaded ver 1.0 and 1.1.0 and I had the same problem as the OP. NIS 2012 actually has a virus signature defined, "WS.Reputation.1", that identifies files that, as you already know, are deemed to have a high impact risk because they are not well known. To make things worse, the default action is to remove them. Seems insane to me but fwiw I also have to say that I have been using NIS for 2-4 years now and have been very happy. Below I am just explaining how to keep NIS from taking this action by default. Probably not necessary but as I said, had some time.

Workaround:

Once UMS is downloaded more and proliferates the problem should resolve itself. Since the file will be deleted if NIS settings are left at default there are a couple of ways to address it if you would like to. If you want to restore the file but have NIS continue to protect you from these "dangerous" files simply click on the "view details" link on the popup message and then click on the "options" link. From there you can restore the file and you are given a chance, via a checkbox, to exclude that signature from ever being used in the future. As an alternative you can add the "WS.Reputation.1" signature to the "Signatures to Exclude from All Detections" list. A final alternative is to disable "Download Intelligence" completely but there are other features within that module that I personally want to keep.

I do too much technical writing in my career which is by nature very detailed and verbose. It can be a fault, I know this. Apologies in advance. :ugeek:
Peace!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the writeup, S7eele, I hope it can help some people. I've also added it to the FAQ (hope that's OK with you) :)
S7eele

Post by S7eele »

SubJunk wrote:Thanks for the writeup, S7eele, I hope it can help some people. I've also added it to the FAQ (hope that's OK with you) :)
I'm honored! :lol: But seriously, if I can actually contribute to the project, even something small, it makes me feel a little less like a complete leech. I've said it before, love the software and have used it heavily for a long time at no cost so if I can give something back it's a bonus. Besides, I've actually got a lot of time on my hands atm (not by choice) and I tend to spend a lot of it tinkering with anything technical. You know how it goes, tweaking to get it perfect just to break it completely so then I "must" troubleshoot and repair it, just maybe making some improvements along the way.:ugeek:

P.S. - If something comes up that you just need a couple more hands to work on let me know and I will do what I can to help.

Peace!
Peace!
S7eele

Post by S7eele »

I imagine you guys have much higher priorities than this but I wanted to follow up with some real quick info. Symantec provides a web link (see below) for reporting "false positive" detection(s) by their products. As discussed in earlier post(s), the problem will go away eventually but I went ahead and submitted a "false positive" report from a user perspective. My thought was that it could only speed up the process but if it causes any problems for you or the team I apologize in advance. The real reason for this post is to provide the following information for any others who might encounter this same issue:

Anyone using a Symantec/Norton product that has identified any of the UMS files available for download as a threat can submit a "false positive" report by visiting https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/. It is very intuitive, appears to work well and will hopefully speed up the process of having all releases classified as "trusted".

SubJunk,

There is also an option for the software's author to submit a "false positive" report. Pretty sure it will be given higher priority.

That's it, told you I have too much time on my hands. ;)

Peace!
Peace!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Ah great, that's a really good idea! I'm submitting a report now. Thanks for that :)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Just got an email back from them saying:

The Symantec Insight Dispute team has reviewed your recent submission to the Insight Dispute Submission form Webpage form "Universal Media Server." In light of further investigation and analysis Symantec is happy to remove this detection from within its products. Please ensure that your machine reflects the change by running LiveUpdate.

:)