PS4 transcoding problems

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mik_s

PS4 transcoding problems

Post by mik_s »

I have problems when i try to watch something that needs transcoding on my PS4. it will play but takes a while to get started.
looking at the logs it appears that playback is stopped for some reason, locking up the PS4 as it is expecting to receive data, then the file will start to play again. it can take over 30 secs to a minute for it to start. it will also do this when resuming a file that it has no problems playing when played from the start. i don't have the same problem when streaming to my PS3 or to my Samsung smart TV.

i created logs for both PS4 and PS3 to try and find out why its only the PS4 that does this.

anyone else have this problem, any solutions?
Attachments
ums_dbg - ps3.zip
(246.37 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
ums_dbg - ps4.zip
(203.7 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Re: PS4 transcoding problems

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know exactly what's going on, but I can see that the PS4 keeps asking UMS over and over again for the same file, which leads to UMS starting to transcode the files multiple times which might slow things down to a crawl. The question is why the PS4 does this. Is the network connection to the PS4 slower than that to your PS3?

Just to eliminate that the PS4 simply is to impatient, try to use this renderer configuration instead:
Sony-PlayStation4.conf
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

thanks i will try it when i get home.

The PS4 is wired directly to my router, and is connected to my computer though a powerline lan adaptor. it is exactly the same connection i used for the PS3.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is a problem with the media player on the PS4 as i also have audio sync issues, not just streaming but playing direct on the system.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

no luck with the new .conf file, still does the same thing.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

thanks will give a try.

just to exclude any problems with my network or computer i tested my old 8 year old laptop with a direct wired connection to the ps4 with the latest version of ums installed and it had exactly the same behavior. i will report back once i have tried a clean install of this new build when i can get online next.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

ok. i've tried the build you posted with a clean install and it is behaving differently. it still won't start playing straight away when transcoding, the ps4 waits for about 20 secs before playing but it is no longer doing the start playing - hang for 30+ secs - stop playing then start playing again like the main build did. however it will only play 10 secs before moving on to the next file. my cpu load maxes out at 100% when playing now where as the normal build would sit at 75% for a few seconds at the start of the file then drop to about 25% for the rest.

also now my ps3 will not recognise the files saying data not supported even when going in the transcode directory.

i did create log files but just realised i forget to copy to my USB stick to post on here. i will do in a few days time.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

ok here is the log file from the clean install of the build you wanted me to try
Attachments
ums_clean install.zip
(95.44 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@mik_s OK, here is a new build to try: (as before, it will need a clean install to become fully effective)
https://we.tl/gOizwpLG2m (link valid 6 days)

After having tested it without any modification, edit your renderer's configuration file, and change the "CustomFFmpegOptions = " parameters line as following:

2nd test:

Code: Select all

CustomFFmpegOptions = -level 41 -preset veryfast -f mp4 -movflags frag_keyframe+default_base_moof -seekable 1
3rd test:

CustomFFmpegOptions = -level 41 -preset veryfast -f mp4 -movflags empty_moov+default_base_moof -seekable 1
4th test:

CustomFFmpegOptions = -level 41 -preset veryfast -f ismv
5th test:

CustomFFmpegOptions = -level 41 -preset veryfast -f mp4 -movflags empty_moov
Thank you for your understanding and help.
I suspect that the ones that will work should be the slowest at transcoding start time delay ?
Hopefully, one can do exception ;)

EDIT: In case i had posted a wrong version:
https://we.tl/Sc9GnvHugM
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

thanks will give it a try later and report back.