UMS interface loks up

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mowhawk2

UMS interface loks up

Post by mowhawk2 »

I am running windows 10 and UMS 6.7.3. I am able to play and stream just fine, all of the players see UMS without any issues. Occasionally I do run into a file that won't play, but that's not too troublesome. I can convert the files into a usable format without too much hassle. The problem is that when I have the program running, and I go to open it in order to configure something or add a folder the interface is frozen. I cannot click on anything. I cannot even close the Asoftware using the close window from the toolbar icon. If I run task manager, it is not even there so I cannot end the task either. I can open it from the desktop icon, which closes the original and reopens it, then I do what I was trying to do, leave it open to play a movie and when I come back to it I get the same response. This one is a little weird.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mowhawk
Nadahar

Re: UMS interface loks up

Post by Nadahar »

First of all, read the text in red above. We need a log to be able to see what's going wrong. If UMS is correctly configured, you shouldn't need to convert files except in very rare cases - UMS is converting files as needed, called transcoding.

I'm not familiar with the GUI hanging, which is what your situation sounds like. We do have some buggy code related to Chromecasts that might be able to freeze the GUI, but without a log I have no idea if that is the case for you. When it comes to finding UMS in the task manager, you have to look for javaw.exe (or java.exe). UMS is a Java program, and as all Java programs it doesn't run as a "native" program but runs inside a Java process called the Java Virtual Machine or JVM. To kill UMS from the task manager you have to kill the JVM.

You should not start UMS while it's already running, it kill simply "kill" the existing process and you will loose any changes you've made and distrupt communication with other devices.
mowhawk2

Post by mowhawk2 »

I am unable to reproduce the bug, beause once it is locked up I am unable to do anything with it. The only report I have available is the currently running instance. I did follow he instructions on the noted page, and I have uploaded the reort that I have available. I wish that I had more info to provide.
ums_dbg.zip
(43.99 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I see that you're using two plugins, MovieInfo and Channels. Nether of these have been updated for a long time as far as I know, so I don't think they will work with later versions of UMS. Remove them from your "plugins" folder and I expect your issues to go away.
mowhawk2

Post by mowhawk2 »

will do. I will let you know how ir works out.
mowhawk2

Post by mowhawk2 »

nope, that didn't do it. I just popped in to check something else on the computer, so I figured that I would check it. When I click on the toolbar icon it brings up the interface, however I cannot click on anything on it once it is. I should ad that if I open another program, IE a browser window, or word, then I click on the visible portion of the interface it stays in the background as well. It is if the program isn't being recognized. The weird thing is that I can go to the living room and watch a movie even though the software is doing nothing on the computer. I'm kind of at a loss here. Any ideas would be appreciated. It is a clean install. I did an uninstall then a deep scan for residuals, then completely deleted and shredded the original folders, so I know that it cannot be from a corrupted previous version. It's just weird.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I need a new log after the plugins have been removed, as were the most likely reason. Just to give a short explanation, what you're describing isn't that unlikely. UMS is a threaded program, and the threads do all kind of different things. There's one particular thread that runs the GUI (draws the GUI and registers clicks etc). It does only that (more or less), and there are completely different threads communicating with renderers, playing media etc. All it takes is for something to somehow distrupt the GUI thread, and it will look "dead"/unresponsive while everything else might run like normal.

The plugins hook into the GUI thread, which is why that was such a likely culprit.
mowhawk2

Post by mowhawk2 »

here ya go, and thanks for taking the time to look at all of this, it is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
ums_dbg1.zip
(36.8 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
mowhawk2

Post by mowhawk2 »

"I need a new log after the plugins have been removed, as were the most likely reason. Just to give a short explanation, what you're describing isn't that unlikely."

I have checked it several times in the last week, and it is still doing the same thing. In tyhe grand scheme of things, it's a monor annoyance, not too troublesome, but if there are any solutions possible I will try them.

Thanks again for taking the time to look this stuff over.
ums_dbg.zip
(33.64 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I've looked at you log and after you removed the plugins I can't see anything wrong. That's why I haven't replied, I haven't had any viable theory as to what can cause this. I've been hoping that an idea popped up in the back of my head, but nothing has happened ;)

As I said above, the plugins were a very likely cause. Since they aren't the cause, and I can't see anything else giving me a hint I'm out of ideas. There's a bug fix that affects some renderers (including some LGs AFAICR) in 6.7.4 so I would upgrade to that. I can't see how that bug could influence your GUI though. This isn't an issue I've heard about before either, so my guess is that something is wrong with you system that affects UMS.

There might be a problem with your Java installation, you could always try to install the latest Java 8 version. You should also check if there are some over-eager anti virus software or malware creating problems. I consider these suggestions to be worth eliminating but not very likely to be the reason.

There's one exception I can think of: I you start the "manual scan" of the library, the GUI can become sluggish. That is because the library scanning is implemented wrong so that the scan runs in the GUI thread. That only applies if you manually push that button though, which I assume you don't or you would have said so.

Except for the above, I'm open for suggestions as I don't have any idea.