AviSynth Audio Upscaling

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
kuroukage

AviSynth Audio Upscaling

Post by kuroukage »

Is there a way to setup UMS using AviSynth or some other means to upscale stereo (of any audio format) to DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1? If so, how? Also, would it be fast enough so that the video didn't get slowed down? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
黒影
_______________________________________________|_._._._._._._._._._
\______________________________________________|_#_#_#_#_#_#_|
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: AviSynth Audio Upscaling

Post by SubJunk »

K-Lite has an option when you're installing it to always output at a certain channel configuration or to leave it the same as input, then that setting would work when using either of the AviSynth engines.
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

Well, I have audio upscaling setup in ffdshow. Is there a certain command line setting I have to set in UMS for it to work (under the avisynth box)?
黒影
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

No, it should just go by the codec settings
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

I figured out the problem. I needed Haali installed. Are there any plugins/decoders you'd recommend getting for AviSynth? Like CoreAVC?

EDIT: I have CoreAVC and FFDShow 5.1 audio upscaling working with it now and I must say I'm pretty impressed. I'd love to learn about more things that I can do with AviSynth (like the best way to upscale video). What do you think are the best scripts to use?
黒影
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

AviSynth is great for upscaling but it wouldn't do the best quality in realtime. I did an upscale release of Vanilla Sky since it's my favourite movie and by some weird universal injustice hasn't been released on blu-ray yet. I did it with AviSynth using various filters and the end-product looks better than any other upscale I've seen. The movie took over 30 hours to finish though at that quality.
This is a screenshot from it:

If you want to do realtime upscaling thogh, the resizing filter Spline36Resize is a good choice, it's fast and better for upscaling than bicubic etc
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

Wow, that came out really nice. What did you use as source..a DVD?

I'm wondering how would I setup a script for AviSynth so that UMS would auto resize say anything that's 640x480 or higher to 1080p on the fly. What settings would I have to use in the text box for AviSynth?
黒影
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Yeah a DVD, I got a few different DVD releases and picked the one with the least cropping and compression (which oddly enough was the PAL version, which are usually the worst)

AviSynth supports a few different ways of writing conditions. The one I use the most is like this:

Code: Select all

Width >= 640 && Height >= 480 ? Eval("""
	Spline36Resize(1920, 1080)
""") : Eval("""
	# What to do otherwise
""")
Which is just if...else
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

Awesome, thanks. Works perfectly and looks better than stretching it out using the PS3 option. :)
黒影