.MP4 Files Will Not Stream

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jo15765

.MP4 Files Will Not Stream

Post by jo15765 »

Greetings - I am switching over from another DLNA server that I streamed .mp4 files from, and I have set-up the shares in UMS and am using ROKU Media Player on my Roku Stick to open UMS and select the file to play. The file will go to the loading screen and show about 25% progress and 4 bars for quality but after a few minutes of the video never playing I get an error on screen of
File Not Playable
The file type might not be supported, the codec used for compression might not be supported, the file might be protected or the file might be damaged or corrupt.

This same file played okay in the other DLNA server I was using. Attached are the logs.
ums_dbg.zip
(76.04 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Nadahar

Re: .MP4 Files Will Not Stream

Post by Nadahar »

I can't really see anything wrong in the log except that there's no renderer configuration file for your Roku. I see that you've forced the use of the "Roku 3" renderer configuration, but it might not be correct for your device.

IN accordance with the "Roku 3" configuration, the MP4 file is not transcoded. Since the file doesn't play, my guess it that it should be transcoded to some other format.

You need to create a renderer configuration file that works for your device. You can find a lot of information about this by searching this forum.
jo15765

Post by jo15765 »

@Nadahar -> I set it force to Roku 3 because other than a Samsung Smart TV - all that I have are Roku Streaming Sticks.

I'll look into creating a renderer configuration that will work with mp4.
jo15765

Post by jo15765 »

I actually found (from a search of the forum as recommended) a .conf file for a Roku Stick (which is what I had) that works perfectly for me in this post

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1563&p=34461&hilit= ... ick#p34461

Thank you to @penguin42
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Great ;)