I'm not Tech Savy enough to post a Proper Report

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
d2produce

I'm not Tech Savy enough to post a Proper Report

Post by d2produce »

I don't know how to save Log files and all that crap. All I know is... I have 2 PCs and I want to play the files from 1 pc to another. Why is this so complicated? I'm connected to my IP address with 9001 at the end.....and it shows all my files......but Why is it skipping every 5 seconds on 50mbps internet and 2 pcs on the same LAN?

I commented out the MaxBitRate line in the Phillips file...whatever that is. And I set Always Use Max Bandwidth.

And UMS still isn't working. I don't want to take a Computer Programming class at my local Community College just to watch Movies on my computer why doesn't this program work right out of the box?

Is there a version of UMS released that works with PC to PC media sharing?
d2produce

Re: I'm not Tech Savy enough to post a Proper Report

Post by d2produce »

UMS to PS3.......works fine.
UMS to XBOX ONE......no problems.

But yet...the most powerful Machine of all......a computer....and it can't communicate with it. It makes zero sense.

My high end gaming computer can't play Movie files through this program. You'd think Computer to Computer would be the easiest and fastest connection of all?

Why is it not working?
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I have 4 computers on my LAN, 2 hard wired to my router and two connected to the router over WiFi, and I play video files between any and all of them at any time, and it works great. No stuttering, hardware decoding (even h265 on one machine), perfect. Full fast forward and rewind capable, subtitles, everything you'd need or want, really.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@d2produce There's a huge span between having to take a computer programming class and following 10 easy step-by-step instructions. The last time I checked we had no clairvoyants here.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

d2produce wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 pm I don't know how to save Log files and all that crap. All I know is... I have 2 PCs and I want to play the files from 1 pc to another. Why is this so complicated? I'm connected to my IP address with 9001 at the end.....and it shows all my files......but Why is it skipping every 5 seconds on 50mbps internet and 2 pcs on the same LAN?

I commented out the MaxBitRate line in the Phillips file...whatever that is. And I set Always Use Max Bandwidth.

And UMS still isn't working. I don't want to take a Computer Programming class at my local Community College just to watch Movies on my computer why doesn't this program work right out of the box?

Is there a version of UMS released that works with PC to PC media sharing?
Does the stuttering help if you pause the movie for a while? (to let it buffer up some data)
Edit: It may only work for a couple of minutes. Anyways, if this is the case, your computer

Edit2: Wait, hold on. You just want to play files from one computer to anohter.. why are you using UMS for that. Just create a share to your other computer and watch the movies with your default mediaplayer (VLC, or something)
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

squadjot wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 pmEdit2: Wait, hold on. You just want to play files from one computer to anohter.. why are you using UMS for that. Just create a share to your other computer and watch the movies with your default mediaplayer (VLC, or something)
That's exactly what I was trying to imply.