Stuck on Splash screen

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
gideond

Stuck on Splash screen

Post by gideond »

I just updated from 7.01 to 7.10 and UMS won't load past the splash screen. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, clean installed and checked firewall and AV settings. The JAVA binary is showing in task manager as running, but i have no interface at all. Just a splash screen in the middle of the desktop. Reverting to 7.01 and it's working fine again.

Running Windows 10 x64 1803 build. I'll have access to an earlier Win10 build later today I can test it on. Java 8 is fully up to date.

Update: Tested this on my older Windows 10 build and while there is a lengthy delay on the splash screen after updating to 7.10 it does eventually load and continues to load more quickly after that.
BenM

Re: Stuck on Splash screen

Post by BenM »

I found this thread via Google, after having exactly the same problem - after upgrading to 7.1 on Win10 x64 it just hung at the splash screen.

I managed to fix it though. In the log file (C:\ProgramData\UMS\debug.log) I found:

INFO 2018-06-28 14:29:32.646 [main] Using database located at: C:\ProgramData\UMS\database
ERROR 2018-06-28 14:30:34.862 [main] Error updating tables: Out of memory.; SQL statement:
ALTER TABLE FILES ADD EXTRAINFORMATION VARCHAR2(255) [90108-196]
DEBUG 2018-06-28 14:30:34.865 [main] Database file count: 21634

So I closed UMS, then renamed the database file C:\ProgramData\UMS\database\medias.mv.db to medias.mv.db.old (the file was about 10gb in size) and started UMS again - it opened fine and regenerated the database file without any problems.

Hope that helps.
boss

Post by boss »

Or you can just delete the entire database folder. It will be rebuilt when UMS restarts.

Myself and at least one other user had the same problem when updating to UMS V7.1.0
FoOlMax

Post by FoOlMax »

Just came here to update this thread which is already quite old but latest one I found.

Had the issue since updating to UMS 9.3.0 and running Java 8u241 on Windows 10 1903. Splash screen would just hang on my monitor until I killed the process or closed the window.

I took a few tries but here's what worked for me:

-Uninstall UMS
-Uninstall Java (all versions if you have several installed, I had x86 and x64 versions installed))
-Delete the entire UMS folder in C:\Program Files (x86)
-Reboot
-Reinstall latest Java version (I used x64 version because my Firefox is x64)
-Reinstall latest UMS

You might have to kill some Java processes that still seem to be running in the background using task manager before you can get rid of the entire UMS folder content.

Just to be clear I was already using the latest version of everything but there were files in that UMS folder that were a few years old, so obviously they aren't all wiped during a clean install.

Hope this helps!
Eddie Bear

Post by Eddie Bear »

BenM wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:47 pm
[...] So I closed UMS, then renamed the database file C:\ProgramData\UMS\database\medias.mv.db to medias.mv.db.old (the file was about 10gb in size) and started UMS again - it opened fine and regenerated the database file without any problems.
Hello from May 2020! This worked like a charm for me. (Win 10 v1909, UMS 8.2.0). Thank you!
Romcollector

Post by Romcollector »

April 2022 with 10.20 and it's still the best workaround solution!