UMS not working on Xbox One

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jibbyreznor

UMS not working on Xbox One

Post by jibbyreznor »

Hello,

Apologies if this issue has been addressed before but I have gone through the forum and tried every solution to no avail. I've tried updating ums, java, restarts and disabling my firewall but no luck. The issue is that up until a few days ago I was able to run UMS on my xbox through my laptop very easily. Now however on start up UMS can see the xbox but the xbox can't see UMS.

I have attached the log as requested and hope someone can help me with this. Thank you very much for any help you can offer,

Jamie
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(55.47 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
Nadahar

Re: UMS not working on Xbox One

Post by Nadahar »

This is a typical network/firewall/router problem. If you've disabled the firewall, make sure you have disabled the correct one. It has the be the one running on the computer running UMS, not in the router or similar.

I've also seen cases where this happens because of bugs in routers. Some times they have memory leaks or other issues that makes them stop routing multicast correctly. Try to restart your router and other network equipment that the signals have to traverse.
jibbyreznor

Post by jibbyreznor »

Hi thank you for your response. I have closed my firewall (Windows defender with Windows 10 is the only one I have) and restarted my router. Still no luck. I thought too that it could be a firewall issue after I updated to Windows 10 but I can only see Windows defender. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks again,

Jamie
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Windows Defender isn't a firewall unless they rebranded the firewall lately. Windows Defender has used to be Microsoft's antivirus/malware solution. I don't remember exactly how to navigate in Windows 10, but you should be able to find Windows Firewall as a separate entry in the Control Panel. You might have to switch to "advanced mode" or similar, Microsoft works hard on hiding anything slightly useful in the Windows 10 settings.
jibbyreznor

Post by jibbyreznor »

It appears windows defender is a firewall. I have however searched again and tried repeatdly turning the firewall off and using UMS. Its still not working. I don't understand it was fine up until a few weeks ago and now it just wont work.

Hopefully there is another solution to this.

Jamie
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Unless Microsoft has changed everything lately, this is how to disable it: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-disable ... ll-2624505

It seems they have indeed renamed the firewall to Defender just to make everything more messy. It's still the same thing underneath it seems, and this page should also cover the "new" settings: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/706 ... -10-a.html
laskov

Post by laskov »

avast user?
I have the same problem
me it is towards all my device

the trouble comes from the avast firewall which has a bug with windows 10

for the past it is both simple and complicated

1 launched the avast control panel and shut down the firewall
2 launched ums
3 after use restart the firewall and wait for either w10 or avast update
jibbyreznor

Post by jibbyreznor »

Hello,

Yes I do use Avast but only the free version so no firewall. I have double checked and even turned avast off completely. I've turned both Avast and Windows defender completely off and still no luck. The computer can see the xbox but the xbox cant see the computer.

Thanks for any more help you can offer,

Jamie
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Sorry that neither I nor anybody else looked in your log file before. This doesn't seem to be a firewall problem at all, although the symptoms are identical and 99% of those experiencing this has firewall issues.

It seems that you have two configured network interfaces, one with 192.168.1.x and one with 192.168.137.x. UMS "autodetects" the 192.168.137.x network, while the Xbox is on the 192.168.1.x network. To solve this, simply "force" UMS to use the correct network interface on the network configuration page. Select the network interface called "Dell Wireless 1703" (you will probably also see the IP address, which should start with 192.168.1). After that, restart UMS and you should be good to go.
jibbyreznor

Post by jibbyreznor »

Hi,

That worked! It took a bit of tinkering with the XBox One settings too but its now working.

Thank you so much for your help, lets hope Microsoft stopping dicking about and changing everything.

Thank you,

Jamie