Subtitles - How do you set them up?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
YenRug

Subtitles - How do you set them up?

Post by YenRug »

It seems somewhat ludicrous that I'm having to ask this question, but repeated searches for setting up subtitles in UMS only ever lead to people having specific problems with them, I cannot seem to find a simple guide as to what you need to do and where to locate things.

Does anyone know of a straightforward guide which explains the basics?

For example, when I download TV shows they often have a "Subs" folder (whether there's anything in there is something beyond my control), does UMS automatically recognise this sub-folder? Do I need to place the subtitle file in the same location as the video file? Do I need to place it in a default subtitle folder that UMS has already created?

Beyond that, will UMS make subtitles available to the playback device if I just play the video file normally or, as some of the old threads suggest in here, do I have to choose a re-encoding option so the subtitles become embedded within what is being supplied?
squadjot

Re: Subtitles - How do you set them up?

Post by squadjot »

I usually just rename the subtitle file to match the video file name.

MyCoolMovie.avi
MyCoolMovie.srt

Your TV may be able to read subtitles, if not, UMS will automatically try to transcode with "burnt in" subtitles.

(Again this all depends on your <render>.config which is used to tell UMS what your TV is capable of)
squadjot

Re: Subtitles - How do you set them up?

Post by squadjot »

I think my above answer is all you need, but you can read more about subtitles in the UMS Wiki here:
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... -Subtitles

Be aware that subtitles sent without transcoding are handled entirely by the TV, so things like fontsize and styles all depend on capabilities of your TV/Device.