Playback quality lower than source

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
clearrtc

Playback quality lower than source

Post by clearrtc »

ums_dbg.zip
(161.71 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Hey,

Newbie here. I am looking for options to display training videos. I installed USM on a new VM 8GB of RAM and 4 Xeon CPU Cores. I copied video files to the server and it found them and makes them playable. However the actual video quality is much lower than the source file. This presents a problem as these are video captures of PC's performing functions but the text is to blurry for the viewer to read. However in the original source file there is not such issue.

Source quality
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4jr0vthymdil ... y.png?dl=0

Stream Quality
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5535vnj0uswr ... y.png?dl=0

As you can see the text is nearly impossible to decipher in the stream.
Last edited by clearrtc on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Playback quality lower than source

Post by SubJunk »

Hi clearrtc, in order to help you we will need logs so we can see which transcoding parameters are being used. There are instructions at the top of the page
clearrtc

Post by clearrtc »

Sorry about that.

Logs now attached to original post.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I can see that the following command is being run:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\win32\ffmpeg64.exe" -y -loglevel info -ss 47.0 -i "E:\Video\AUTOCAD COMMANDS & PRODUCTIVITY TOOLS\AUTOCAD BORDER - UPDATE.wmv" -filter_complex scale=720:404 -qscale:v 10 -acodec libvorbis -f ogg output.ogg

The obvious problem here is that your input video is 1920x1080 but we are reducing it to 720x404.

Please try setting the following options in your config file, UMS.conf:

Code: Select all

web_width = 1920
web_height = 1080
We should probably default it to 1280x720 in the code
clearrtc

Post by clearrtc »

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. However that does not seem to have fixed it. I restarted the service and nothing has changed, so I rebooted the server and still seems to be running at default resolution.

DEBUG 2018-09-18 11:01:00.553 [ffmpeg64.exe-2] net.pms.io.ProcessWrapperImpl Starting "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\win32\ffmpeg64.exe" -y -f lavfi -i nullsrc=s=720x480:d=1:r=1 -vf ass=DummyInput.ass -target ntsc-dvd -

I have attached the current log incase there is other information you may glean.
ums_dbg2.zip
Debug
(49.99 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
UMS-conf.zip
ums.conf file
(16.11 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi clearrtc, in your new logs it doesn't look like you played any files. Please try to play that same file before creating the logs and attach them again