Clean install / options

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
squadjot

Re: Clean install / options

Post by squadjot »

Nadahar wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:36 pm I admit I didn't read the whole tread, I just saw that you suggested that there should be a custom renderer-config folder that would not be deleted.

That is indeed the function of the "renderers" folder inside the profile folder. It will not be deleted with a normal uninstall, or changed during normal installation.

"Clean install" is something very different, it explicitly deletes every trace that UMS was ever installed, all configuration, database installation, and anything else that might be in UMS' folders. It's not something that should be used normally, hardly at all in my opinion. If somebody has fucked up their configuration, it's much better to just rename or delete the configuration file than to do a "clean install" which deletes everything.
Well i mostly do it because i'm concerned about improved defaults

I assume a lot of people are choosing "clean install", but i may be wrong
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

"Improved defaults" is a hype :D

In any case, I didn't remember this stupid text. Whoever wrote it doesn't care much about the users' well being in my opinion. But yes, you're right, as long as you're "recommended" to delete your configuration when upgrading, there really is a need to store the configuration somewhere else :lol:

To me, this is just a lack of logic from the developers.

The "improved defaults" argument is simply misguiding. The way it works is that if a certain configuration option isn't explicitly defined in the configuration, the default value is used. The defaults are hardcoded, so they will change with the UMS version. As long as a setting is using the default, the new "improved default" will apply without deleting the configuration. Only the configuration options that has been changed by the user will stay that way (since they're not using the default). It sounds like a good compromise to me. The only weakness with this "model" that I can see is that you can't see in the GUI if you're using a default or an explicitly configured value, and once you have changed a setting there's no way to get it back to default without editing the configuration file manually.

Since I've been kicked out of the team, this is no longer my responsibility - which feels very good in cases like this :lol:
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

First of all.. none of this is a HUGE problem, but the description of the option, or the option it self could be fine tuned to make people's life a a little bit easier.
Nadahar wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:00 am "Improved defaults" is a hype :D
Sure but default's can still change, as they did when all the show/hide options were "cleaned up"

Nadahar wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:00 am there's no way to get it back to default without editing the configuration file manually
If i'm not mistaken the UMS.conf in the Program Files folder contains the unmodified default config.

Nadahar wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:00 am I've been kicked out of the team.
Sorry to hear that.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

squadjot wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:15 am Sure but default's can still change, as they did when all the show/hide options were "cleaned up"
Of course they can. I'm just saying that as long as the user didn't change the setting, the new default will apply automatically. Also, when changes are made to the configuration, it's easy to make the new code respect the old settings as well in most cases. Whether or not that is actually done is another matter, it depends primarily on the lazyness of the developer.
squadjot wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:15 am If i'm not mistaken the UMS.conf in the Program Files folder contains the unmodified default config.
Setting things back the the default in the configuration file is very easy, you can just remove whatever value is there so that the value is blank (or remove the whole line for that matter). My point was that you can't get back to the default using the GUI once you have changed a setting. Nothing indicates the difference between a default and an explicit setting either.
squadjot wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:15 am Sorry to hear that.
I guess that's what happen if you dare to criticize "the big man". It doesn't really matter for me though, I have other projects.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

I think a few tick boxes beneath the Clean install option would be cool.
That way you could easily chose what to delete
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

Oh, and just for the record, having renderer configs in c:\ProgramData\UMS\renderers seems to have no effect at all.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

squadjot wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:38 am Oh, and just for the record, having renderer configs in c:\ProgramData\UMS\renderers seems to have no effect at all.
I forgot.. configs based on uuid must be placed in: C:\ProgramData\UMS\renderers