Autoupdate feature a bit intrusive (Windows)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
cmonster

Autoupdate feature a bit intrusive (Windows)

Post by cmonster »

I was running v1.01 and had autoupdate toggled. UMS saw the update and prompted if I wanted to download it. When I agreed, I could not type ANY information into any other running application until after the download completed. I couldn't even toggle to other applications without completely minimizing UMS.

After the download completed, everything went back to normal but the update didn't start automatically. It just left a window stating "Must download before run" with a Close button. Restarting UMS didn't kick off the update either, it just informed me that an update was available.

BTW, where does it save the new version of the installation file when it's automatically downloaded?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Autoupdate feature a bit intrusive (Windows)

Post by SubJunk »

cmonster wrote:I was running v1.01 and had autoupdate toggled. UMS saw the update and prompted if I wanted to download it. When I agreed, I could not type ANY information into any other running application until after the download completed. I couldn't even toggle to other applications without completely minimizing UMS.

After the download completed, everything went back to normal but the update didn't start automatically. It just left a window stating "Must download before run" with a Close button. Restarting UMS didn't kick off the update either, it just informed me that an update was available.
I think the automatic updater bugs out if the program is minimised, not sure. I didn't write that feature but I will try to improve it.
cmonster wrote:BTW, where does it save the new version of the installation file when it's automatically downloaded?
I think it is saved in the program installation directory.
tthulin

Post by tthulin »

Run program as admin to update
resolution here:http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver ... ail?id=237
cmonster

Post by cmonster »

I just tried the autoupdate feature again to update to 1.1.1 and I still cannot find the download. It's not in the installation directory (or subdirectories) nor is it in the default download folder.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It could either be in VirtualStore or the temp directory. Anyway hopefully the next version will feature a more stable autoupdate. If you want to help me test it I can upload a build
cmonster

Post by cmonster »

Sure thing, let me know when you're ready and I'll run it through.