Version 7.6.2 released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
madman555

Re: Version 7.6.2 released

Post by madman555 »

SubJunk wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:12 pm
Darth Ed wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 am Not a fan of using an installer "wizard" for macOS. I would prefer that you go back to using *.dmg files for macOS distribution. I would much rather copy the application to where I want manually and without giving your installer "wizard" administrative access to my computer. Fortunately, I have a program call Pacifist which allows me to extract files from *.pkg files, but that's commercial software and not everyone has it. Most Mac users I know generally prefer *.dmg files for distributing applications. *.pkg files should only be used for complex installations.
We still release the .dmg files, this is just an extra option that we made default. To get the .dmg file you can click the arrow button to the right of the OS logos on the front page, and click the "disk image" option
Does the installer do anything else besides copy the app to the Applications folder?
madman555

Post by madman555 »

I'm running on Mac OS 10.14.1. Upgraded from 7.5.0 to 7.6.2 and now it doesn't always work. The app is running but the GUI doesn't show up and the TV doesn't see the server. I'll have to force quit and try multiple times and it'll eventually start. Going back to 7.5.0 doesn't fix the problem. Going back to 7.3.0 does start up every time. Not sure how to grab logs if the app isn't running. Running the latest version of Java as well. I've also tried doing a clean install with 7.6.2 but still had the same problem.
GGuruUSA

Post by GGuruUSA »

squadjot wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:21 am
a15995 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:10 pm Haven't worked on my system since 7.5.0. Does not launch, have tried 7.6.0 and 7.6.2. Have also reinstalled Java to no avail. Back on 7.5.0 and working.

My system is Win7x64, Java 8 (update 191) - further below.
A wild shot... have you tried opening the application with "run as administrator" enabled?
7.6.2 clean install doesn't start on my Win 8 x64 system. 7.5.0 works. Java update to latest had no effect. Didn't try versions in-between.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

madman555 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:03 am
Darth Ed wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 am Not a fan of using an installer "wizard" for macOS. I would prefer that you go back to using *.dmg files for macOS distribution. I would much rather copy the application to where I want manually and without giving your installer "wizard" administrative access to my computer. Fortunately, I have a program call Pacifist which allows me to extract files from *.pkg files, but that's commercial software and not everyone has it. Most Mac users I know generally prefer *.dmg files for distributing applications. *.pkg files should only be used for complex installations.
We still release the .dmg files, this is just an extra option that we made default. To get the .dmg file you can click the arrow button to the right of the OS logos on the front page, and click the "disk image" option
Does the installer do anything else besides copy the app to the Applications folder?
No, it doesn't
madman555 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:06 am I'm running on Mac OS 10.14.1. Upgraded from 7.5.0 to 7.6.2 and now it doesn't always work. The app is running but the GUI doesn't show up and the TV doesn't see the server. I'll have to force quit and try multiple times and it'll eventually start. Going back to 7.5.0 doesn't fix the problem. Going back to 7.3.0 does start up every time. Not sure how to grab logs if the app isn't running. Running the latest version of Java as well. I've also tried doing a clean install with 7.6.2 but still had the same problem.
Our problem reporting guidelines cover how to get logs if it doesn't start: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
GGuruUSA wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:20 pm
squadjot wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:21 am
a15995 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:10 pm Haven't worked on my system since 7.5.0. Does not launch, have tried 7.6.0 and 7.6.2. Have also reinstalled Java to no avail. Back on 7.5.0 and working.

My system is Win7x64, Java 8 (update 191) - further below.
A wild shot... have you tried opening the application with "run as administrator" enabled?
7.6.2 clean install doesn't start on my Win 8 x64 system. 7.5.0 works. Java update to latest had no effect. Didn't try versions in-between.
Can you please make logs for this so we can see how to fix it? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
Darth Ed

Post by Darth Ed »

Ah, yes, I see that! Thank you!
Darth Ed

Post by Darth Ed »

madman555 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:06 am I'm running on Mac OS 10.14.1. Upgraded from 7.5.0 to 7.6.2 and now it doesn't always work. The app is running but the GUI doesn't show up and the TV doesn't see the server. I'll have to force quit and try multiple times and it'll eventually start. Going back to 7.5.0 doesn't fix the problem. Going back to 7.3.0 does start up every time. Not sure how to grab logs if the app isn't running. Running the latest version of Java as well. I've also tried doing a clean install with 7.6.2 but still had the same problem.
Yes, I'm seeing this, too. I occasionally saw this happen with 7.5.x as well, but quitting and relaunching the app would fix it. Now, it's happening 100% of the time with 7.6.2 and no amount of quitting and relaunching brought back the GUI window.

EDIT: I had a feeling it was some kind of window state setting in UMS.conf. So I edited that and changed the splash screen back on (changed false to true), relaunched, and the GUI was back.
pipin

Post by pipin »

thebrand wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:23 am
drakulis wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:12 am
thebrand wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:52 am There may have been some fixes around Samsung browsing but my Samsung ES8000 is browsing endlessly and cannot display any folder content. Can you help fix it ? thanks
When it started to happenning for you? I mean UMS version. Please share your logs.
Hi drakulis, the 7.5 version was fine. The endless browsing started when I upgraded to 7.6.
You can have a look at the logs here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BL9Nf ... L_h0x2BQ0U

I rolled back to 7.5 version but I get the same endless browsing scenario. See logs :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iye5T ... YFhS9cq3K0

Thanks for your help.
Hi,

from the logs I guess you have a samsung tv, too?

I found my problem, my samsung has a setting "view". It can be set to date,title,folder. If you select one different from folder, ums will try to show all files at once and its like "endless browsing" you mentioned.
Regards,
Jens
-----------
Devices used with UMS : - Windows 10 PC, Samsung UE32 F4580SS, Samsung UE48H6600
thebrand

Post by thebrand »

pipin wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:56 pm
thebrand wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:23 am
drakulis wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:12 am

When it started to happenning for you? I mean UMS version. Please share your logs.
Hi drakulis, the 7.5 version was fine. The endless browsing started when I upgraded to 7.6.
You can have a look at the logs here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BL9Nf ... L_h0x2BQ0U

I rolled back to 7.5 version but I get the same endless browsing scenario. See logs :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iye5T ... YFhS9cq3K0

Thanks for your help.
Hi,

from the logs I guess you have a samsung tv, too?

I found my problem, my samsung has a setting "view". It can be set to date,title,folder. If you select one different from folder, ums will try to show all files at once and its like "endless browsing" you mentioned.
Hi, indeed I have a samsung tv as well, on which it works fine. For my other samsung multimedia device, there is no such "view" setting which would allow to display it differently. Unfortunately. So I'm stuck.
pipin

Post by pipin »

thebrand wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 am
Hi, indeed I have a samsung tv as well, on which it works fine. For my other samsung multimedia device, there is no such "view" setting which would allow to display it differently. Unfortunately. So I'm stuck.
On my Samsung UE48H6600 the setting is named "folder" not "view"

https://imgur.com/a/nDIZbOT
Regards,
Jens
-----------
Devices used with UMS : - Windows 10 PC, Samsung UE32 F4580SS, Samsung UE48H6600
romel

Post by romel »

Is there had any substantial change between 7.5.0 and 7.6.2 release?

I was happy to see that was possible add VLC support to UMS, just adding the VLC distro folder into the UMS folder ( <UMSFOLDER>\videolan), but with the 7.6.2 release, UMS was not able detect it again.

The MovieInfo plugin, also was not detected in <UMSFOLDER>\Plugins

Using Windows 10 X64
UMS is ran through batch file, using a "standalone" distro of java (portableapps PAF).

Folder Structure used:
=============================================
Root\Commonfiles\Java[64] (Java 8u181 x86[x64] standalone PAF distro)
Root\UMS\_PROFILE (used as a common profile folder)

Root\UMS7.5.0
Root\UMS7.5.0\videolan
Root\UMS7.5.0\plugins\movieinfo.jar
Root\UMS7.5.0\MOVIEINFO.conf

Root\UMS7.6.2\videolan (not detected)
Root\UMS7.6.2\plugins\movieinfo.jar (not detected)
Root\UMS7.6.2\MOVIEINFO.conf (I guess not used because plugin was not detected)

Batch to run the UMS (both versions):
SET PATH_ORIGINAL=%PATH%
SET "UBICACION_ORIGINAL=%~dp0"

CD "..\Commonfiles\JAVA64"
SET "JAVA_HOME=%CD%"
SET "CLASSPATH=.;%JAVA_HOME%\lIB;%JAVA_HOME%\lIB\EXT"
SET "PATH=%JAVA_HOME%\BIN;%PATH%"

CD "%UBICACION_ORIGINAL%"
@REM start javaw.exe -Xmx768M -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dums.profile.path="%~DP0..\UMS\_PROFILE" -classpath update.jar;ums.jar net.pms.PMS
java.exe -Xmx768M -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dums.profile.path="%~DP0..\UMS\_PROFILE" -verbose -classpath update.jar;ums.jar net.pms.PMS

SET JAVA_HOME=
SET CLASSPATH=
SET "PATH=%PATH_ORIGINAL%"
pause