Unable to connect with Sony Bluray and Optoma projector

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
teidybugi

Unable to connect with Sony Bluray and Optoma projector

Post by teidybugi »

Hi!

I would like to connect to UMS with (at least one of) Sony Blu-ray player X800 and Optoma projector UHD51a. I'm a new guy to this and I can't connect with any of devices.
I would like to watch 4K HDR content like that, with lossless video quality, expect for audio since both devices can't play atmos or true-hd from single MKV file.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
teidybugi
squadjot

Re: Unable to connect with Sony Bluray and Optoma projector

Post by squadjot »

If you're on windows; sometimes it helps turning off the windows firewall.. let the program connect..and then turn firewall on again. (just have to do it once)
teidybugi

Post by teidybugi »

Thank you, that did the trick, but unfortunately I'm unable to connect if I turn firewall back. I would like to ask is there a way to play non transcoded files by default and how could I play MKV file but with AC3 audio? It can play with MPEG-2 but the quality is much worse than MKV and not sure why the skipping is much smoother with MKV.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

You can manually skip transcoding on the "Transcoding Settings" tab in UMS, down the bottom of that screen there is the "skip transcoding for the following extensions".
We would prefer ideally if you could provide us with logs and let us know which formats you are skipping so that we can update the config for that device, since if transcoding is happening when it doesn't need to be, that usually means there is something incorrect in the renderer configuration file
teidybugi

Post by teidybugi »

SubJunk wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:55 pm You can manually skip transcoding on the "Transcoding Settings" tab in UMS, down the bottom of that screen there is the "skip transcoding for the following extensions".
We would prefer ideally if you could provide us with logs and let us know which formats you are skipping so that we can update the config for that device, since if transcoding is happening when it doesn't need to be, that usually means there is something incorrect in the renderer configuration file
Sorry for late reply, I have some problems with UMS. At first I'm able to connect to the UMS, but I have to disable firewall everytime. I managed to play Darkest Hour 2160p HDR (I played it for couple of minutes), but HDR worked with MKV (no transcode) and for some reason it played audio, but unfortunately it didn't show subtitles even if there was external.
Then I wanted to try some other movies but folders wouldn't load anymore. I reset the UMS (with logging) and tried again, but it wouldn't load anything. So I'm posting 2 links for both logs. I don't think I have to transcode any video format, but for audio I'm sure I have to, so I would really like if it's possible to have MKV with transcoded audio.
Attachments
ums_dbg_loading.zip
First log
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 503 times
ums_dbg_first.zip
Second log - where it would be just loading screen
(3.71 MiB) Downloaded 466 times
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

At first I'm able to connect to the UMS, but I have to disable firewall everytime.
Hm, then you need to look up the firewall rule for Java SE Binaries (javaw.exe) and set it accordingly. (allow)
teidybugi

Post by teidybugi »

squadjot wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:07 pm Hm, then you need to look up the firewall rule for Java SE Binaries (javaw.exe) and set it accordingly. (allow)
Okay, now I can connect to UMS without disabling firewall. For some movies when playing MKV on blu-ray I'm able to switch audio so it doesn't show unsupported audio anymore, but it still won't show subtitles, I'm assuming this is more of a problem for the blu-ray player than UMS.
I'm trying to connect with projector directly to UMS and it shows my PC (not sure why) and UMS, but when I press on UMS it just opens my PC where there are no files to play. And for some strange reason DLNA doesn't work with projector through Ethernet cable but with wi-fi does and I used the same cable I have for blu-ray player.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

teidybugi wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:58 ambut it still won't show subtitles, I'm assuming this is more of a problem for the blu-ray player than UMS.
One of the main reasons UMS does transcoding is for subtitles support, so the idea is that we define which things (including which subtitles) a device supports in its renderer configuration file, and then everything that doesn't match that, is transcoded. I'd be happy to work with you to improve your renderer configs so that they will work without setting that "skip transcoding" thing, as that is just a blunt override. Would you be willing to test configs if I make them?
teidybugi

Post by teidybugi »

SubJunk wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:02 am One of the main reasons UMS does transcoding is for subtitles support, so the idea is that we define which things (including which subtitles) a device supports in its renderer configuration file, and then everything that doesn't match that, is transcoded. I'd be happy to work with you to improve your renderer configs so that they will work without setting that "skip transcoding" thing, as that is just a blunt override. Would you be willing to test configs if I make them?
Yeah I would be glad to test configs. I was really bumped about it since I got new projector and I couldn't play movies as I wanted to, so I'm down for everything if we can make it work. And thank you for the assistance.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

@teidybugi please set shared folders acordingly. You have set

Code: Select all

folders =I:\\,G:\\4k_3d_filmi
which means that all subfolders and files in I: drive will be scanned not only folders with any media files. It really spams the log and slow down browsing.