[Solved] file and folder names in list, not grid

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
vreebler

[Solved] file and folder names in list, not grid

Post by vreebler »

I don't see any way to select a different view than the grid view. What I want is a LIST of files, similar to the left side view of sub-folders, so that I can see/read longer names, especially on my TV. It's not useful to see only the first say 15-20 characters because the name has to fit into the grid. Even the the left side view of sub-folders could be improved by resizing to a longer default length. Also, while I'm making suggestions, a toggle for font sizes would be handy for me. My display is a 51" 720p old Rear Projection and small text on it is somewhat fuzzy. If it's not immediately obvious what I mean by a LIST view, here's an example. I don't need the filetypes displayed.
list of files.jpg
list of files.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 13478 times
valib
Developer

Re: file and folder names in list, not grid

Post by valib »

@vreebler are you speaking about web interface or your TV? We cannot change the format like it is shown on renderer. The UMS only sends information an it is the renderer responsibility how it will look like on the screen. If you do not want to see the filetypes you can use "Hide extension". Also using "Prettify filenames" can help you.
vreebler

Post by vreebler »

I use UMS primarily on my large TV, using it on my PC is unnecessary. In fact on the PC I generally view folder contents in Details view, so I can read whole long file names, sort by date, and other info. On the TV I'd like something similar to Details view, mainly so that file names aren't truncated by being forced into a grid. If the TV is simply a mirror of how things are shown in the web interface, then how can I set the web interface to a Details view?

Thanks for the Hide Extension toggle and the Prettify.
vreebler

Post by vreebler »

I just did the Prettify filenames action, Hide Extension was already selected but ghosted, and while I was at it I turned off thumbnails. Even so, this is the result: Image

I think you'll agree the title truncation isn't good. I don't see anything in the config that could change this to a simple text title.
vreebler

Post by vreebler »

so then i thought, maybe restart UMS. But no, still huge thumbnails and truncated titles.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Yeah it would be good to have the ability to see more of a list view on the web interface, I think that's a good suggestion. There are two different views at the moment but they are both thumbnail-based
vreebler

Post by vreebler »

SubJunk, thanks, for the future this is good to hear from a Lead Developer. It's also good to know that I haven't missed something in the current config.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

If you want to follow the development progress there is an issue on our tracker at https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... ssues/1718
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

This was released in 7.7.0
vreebler

Re: [Solved] file and folder names in list, not grid

Post by vreebler »

Wow Subjunk, that was quick! I'll get and try 7.7 today.