Why no more plugins?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
rbrown3

Why no more plugins?

Post by rbrown3 »

Greetings:

I was hoping to use an old plugin with UMS and attempted to do so, only to find that it didn't work in v8.2.0.

After making inquiries in this forum, I have learned that since 7.x UMS no longer supports plugins.

I am curious as to why this support was removed. Is there some technical reason for removing it? Is there some other mechanism for extending UMS functionality?

Or was it just decided that the application simply "shouldn't" provide extensibility?

Could someone please explain why this was done?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Why no more plugins?

Post by SubJunk »

Hi rbrown3,

All of the plugins had been abandoned and it didn't seem like anyone would fix them or make new ones in the future, and I think only 2 of them even worked anymore. We would bring them back if someone wanted to make a plugin.
rbrown3

Post by rbrown3 »

I am working on a project to update and improve the movieinfo plugin. In the process, I will be looking at ways to make it easier to develop plugins for UMS, and I will likely be developing other plugins as well.

I would like to have the ability to add plugins to UMS. To do that I will need a codebase (preferably an up- to- date one) that has plugins enabled (or, alternatively, some instruction on how to re- enable them).

Is this possible?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

You should still be able to run a version before we removed them, and if you get them going I will re-add the plugins tab to the new versions