[Solved] Playback 4K in LG TV

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
abominalizer

Re: Playback 4K in LG TV

Post by abominalizer »

IT WORKS :D I owe you big time.

Now If I download another movie or something should be warry of formats or will play anything now?
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

First try to play it from the TRANSCODE folder choosing the "No transcoding" option and if it works than use Mediainfo for that video (in the text view to see the container, video and audio formats) and update the video or audio formats in the .conf
After that testing you can offer us your working .conf to be included in the UMS.
abominalizer

Post by abominalizer »

Will do :) Thanks
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

This update will be in 8.0.2, thanks!
azraraktar

Re: [Solved] Playback 4K in LG TV

Post by azraraktar »

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem.
Here is my lg-webos.cfg. I followed the solutions here, but it's not working.
I can stream HDR, HEVC, 10bit, Dolby Vision etc. if I go in the folder #Transcode# and then go 'no transcode'.
It's working only that way. If I click on the file itself, it says now, file is not supported.
Before following the solutions here, it was streaming the file as FullHD and sound was not dolby etc.
Now it works only via Transcode->No Transcode.
I just want to click on the file and start it without any transcoding.

Please help :(
I have a LG B8 OLED.
Attachments
LG-WebOS.conf
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I had exactly the same problem trying to set up ums with my parents new LG TV.
Finally figured out the config was missing width and height for 4k and setting for the right bit depths. Try adding

Code: Select all

SupportedVideoBitDepths = 8,10
MaxVideoWidth = 3840
MaxVideoHeight = 2160
I went though all supported file types and made sure that the config matched, making modifications where necessary.
If you want give it a go and see if it works for you, I have given it a higher priority so in theory it should be used while keeping your original file.

If you still have problems follow the red section above and post trace logs.
Attachments
LG-WebOS-modified.conf
(3.47 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There are so many models and variations out there, that the whole idea of shipping with configuration files for the "most common devices" might not be viable anymore IMO. What you need to do, is simply adjust the renderer configuration to suit your device. Although not all options are that intuitive, what you really need to worry about here is the "Supported" lines. They decide what is transcoded or not, and what you want is for more format/codec combinations to be streamed without transcoding, ergo you need to add those formats/codecs to the "supported" lines.

Here is one such line from the configuration you have posted:

Code: Select all

Supported = f:mkv         v:h264|h265|mp4|mpeg2|vp8|vp9     a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|dts|mp3|mpa|vorbis     m:video/x-matroska
The explanation is pretty straight forward. There's a prefix before ":" that decides what the following "means", f=format, v=video codec, a=audio codec, m=mime type. there are some more rare ones as well that I don't remember, but those are the ones you usually need.

The options are regular expressions (regex), and anyone that wants to can look up how to write regex'es that match what they want to. You mostly don't need to do that though, because these are usually very simple "expressions". What you need to know is that "|" means "or", and you can add how many you want in there. Thus, what the above line says is:
Format MKV with video codec H264, H265, MPEG-4 (whatever that is), MPEG-2, VP8 or VP9 and audio codec AAC-LC, HE-AAC, AC3, DTS; MP3, MP Audio (MP1 & MP2) or Vorbis is supported by the renderer. If a file matches these conditions, do not transcode the file, and send it using MIME type "video/x-matroska".

You can edit this any way you want, just restart UMS to make the changes effective. Any media file that does NOT match one of the "supported" lines, will be transcoded.

edit: Oh, yes, and the options mik_s posted while I was writing are good to have too :)
azraraktar

Post by azraraktar »

Thanks!
I will try the options you gave me.
The ones provided by @mik_s are already in my cfg file.
The line you gave me is also already in my .cfg file.
Issue is: it still doesn't work! I have for an example a file which is x265 HDR 4K 10bit Dolby Atmos - how do I know that h265 stands for x265? How do I find out what the 'code' is for dolby atmos ?
I provided the .cfg so you guys can see that what you wanted me to put it, I already did.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I only saw your config after I had posted as I assumed it was the same as the default one as the bit depth was the one giving me trouble.
Still give mine a try as i redid some of the supported formats according to the LG WebOS manual and make trace logs so we can see what the logic behind the transcoding is.
If you are confident try looking at the logs yourself, Search for "final verdict" in the logs to see how the file is matched to the supported filetypes and tweak the config accordingly. location of the logs is C:\ProgramData\UMS\debug.log make sure you are in trace mode at bottom of the log tab in UMS though.

I don't know much about all the codes, Nadahar is much more knowledgeable and can explain better. :P
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The line I posted was form your config file, so yes, I know it's already in there. I just used it as an example when trying to explain how it works.

I can't "suggest" what to put in there, because I have no idea what works on your TV - and since I don't have that TV, there's no way for me to test it either.

When it comes to the "codes" to use, most can be found by looking in different configuration files. That said, all of them are supposed to be listed here in DefaultRenderer.conf: https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... #L559-L668

x265 isn't a codec, it's a h265 encoder AFAIK: http://x265.org/ It does output h265 though. Some of the codec names can be a bit confusing, the "commercial name" for h265 is HEVC: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.265

If you come across x265, h265 or HEVC, it probably describes the same codec - there is much confusion about these terms. h264 as a similar "commercial name" called AVC.

When it comes to Atmos the mess i pretty much complete. Atmos is an "extra layer" on top of another codec, so what you really want is the name of the "underlying" codec. AFAICR the underlying codec is usually EAC3, so this is probably what needs to be specified in your configuration. Atmos tracks will play on any device that supports the underlying codec, but the extra Atmos information will only be available to devices that understands this information. Thus, seen from a "compatibility perspective", the interesting part is the underlying codec.

Although it takes a bit of getting used to, the way to know for sure what format/codec/code to use for a specific media file is to enable TRACE logging in UMS, try to play the file, and then look in the log. I usually just search the log file for the filename in question, which will relatively quickly lead me to the interesting (parsing) part where the parsing results are presented, and so are the decisions of whether to transcode or stream directly.