UMS server dlna not visible - Ubuntu Docker-Compose Install

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mrfatboy

UMS server dlna not visible - Ubuntu Docker-Compose Install

Post by mrfatboy »

I have installed UMS via docker compose on Ubuntu 22.04 using the following docker-compose.yml file. I am able to get to the UMS GUI via localhost:9001. I have added my media and can play it via the web ui.

The problem is the UMS server is not showing up on my network. Everything is on same network. The UPnP./DNLA setting is checked under Services.
Does anybody have a suggestion how to fix?

I also have Jellyfin running. It shows up on my network correctly. I also can see it in my firewall settings. There is no reference to UMS in the firewall. Does that have to be setup separately? If so, how? I didn't have to do that with Jellyfin. I also checked the firewall using 'sudo ufw status'. It says "inactive". So i'm guessing it's not a firewall problem, correct?

thank you

Code: Select all

version: '3.7'

services:

universalmediaserver:

image: universalmediaserver/ums
    container_name: UMS
    network_mode: host
    environment:
      - UMS_PROFILE=/profile
    volumes:
      - ~/Docker/ums/UMS.conf:/profile
      - /mnt/Udrive1/Music:/Music:ro
    ports:
      - 5001:5001
      - 9001:9001
      - 1900:1900
    restart: 'unless-stopped'
mik_s

Re: UMS server dlna not visible - Ubuntu Docker-Compose Install

Post by mik_s »

I know very little about linux and even less about Docker so don't know if you are doing anything wrong. If you post your trace logs (see the section in red above) I might be able to see what is happening.

It could be a firewall problem or some clash with Jellyfin if they use the same port.
You could try changing the port UMS uses from 5001 to something else in the settings.
I think you will also need to change mappings for Docker too.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mrfatboy

Post by mrfatboy »

I’m new to Ubuntu also. I have installed UMS on windows several times without a problem.

I did turn off jellyfin to see if there was a conflict. It didnt help.

I will try to post the logs.
boss

Post by boss »

I don't have any experience with docker.
But it looks like you could be linking the profile to the UMS.conf file in the install folder.
EG:
volumes:
- ~/Docker/ums/UMS.conf:/profile

Where it should be in your profile folder which on Linux is normally:
/root/.config/UMS/UMS.conf
mrfatboy

Post by mrfatboy »

I finally got UMS to show up on my network. In General Settings > Network Settings (advanced) > Force networking on interface must be set to the correct IP. Auto Detect does not work (at least in my case due to Docker?). I had to chose the interface that was bound to my ip of the actually host machine.

Now here is the problem. When I changed that setting to my desired IP and tried to save the "Saving" windows pops up but just spins. It would not save.

To get around this I had to edit the UMS.conf file and added the following line.

network _interface = [insert your interface]. ex. wlp2s0

Then I restarted the docker container. UMS now shows in my network.

Here is the docker-compose.yml I used:

Code: Select all

version: '3.7'

services:

universalmediaserver:

image: universalmediaserver/ums
    container_name: UMS
    network_mode: host
    environment:
      - UMS_PROFILE=/profile
    volumes:
      - ~/path/to/config_file/UMS.conf:/profile
      - /path/to/media:/MyMedia:ro

restart: 'unless-stopped'
Edit the profile path. I picked something in my home directory. I tried the root suggestion above but that didn't work. Then add/edit all of your folders for your media.

Now if anybody knows why I can't edit the UMS network advance settings that would better. I'm thinking it might be a docker permission thing but that doesn't explain why I can change other settings and add media.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I think the constantly spinning saving icon is a bug that should now be fixed, but not in the current version.
Either that or it could be something to do with permissions where it can't write to the conf file.
The media is stored in a separate file called SHARED.conf that may have the right permissions.

I suspect it could be using the wrong network interface if UMS does not show up in renderers but I think Docker confuses things being an isolated system as far as I understand it.

Since you now have UMS working in Docker could you give some help with this.
Mostly with how to install as the guide seems out of date and the SHARED.conf that gets pulled from the repository appears to have the installation folder set as a shared folder causing problems.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mrfatboy

Post by mrfatboy »

I posted a How To here:

viewtopic.php?p=47952#p47952
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Thanks that will be a great help, now I have something I can point people to when they have Docker problems.

You mention there are issues in the docker image you have to work around. What are those and what can be done to improve this image so these work arounds are not needed?
mrfatboy

Post by mrfatboy »

I read about some of the issues here. The others are the "not saving" as well as not using correct network interface.

viewtopic.php?t=12922&sid=174b29121adbb ... a12759b2c7