Renderers Issue with VLC for my Apple TV 1080p and not 4K

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Capiray

Renderers Issue with VLC for my Apple TV 1080p and not 4K

Post by Capiray »

Hi,

I've 2 issue going on.

1- UMS can't select a specific renderers. I was able to reproduce 2 out of the 3 renderers in attachment. Will tray to reproduce the 3rd one and update post asap...
Apple TV 3-Amigos.rar
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
2- In any cases if their is any external Sub-titles it will take over 1 minutes or more until the video start playing or not at all (I have notice that 4k renderer as no configuration for any external sub?). My work around is take out external sub and the video will start playing instantly.

Thank you.
ums_dbg_2024-03-15-12-56 VLC for iOS.rar
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
ums_dbg_2024-03-15-13-15 VLC for Apple TV 4k.zip
(2.16 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
Capiray

Re: Renderers Issue with VLC for my Apple TV 1080p and not 4K

Post by Capiray »

Hi,

See attach log with the 3rd Renderer.

Thank you...
ums_dbg_2024-03-15-17-35 VLC for Desktop.zip
(2.39 MiB) Downloaded 19 times
Capiray

Post by Capiray »

P.S. I've also notice that VLC Application as change to : Version 3.5.6 (610) Base on : 3.0.18-g5aff32013c
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

1. I don't know what you mean as UMS finds the right conf files for your 3 devices.
There has been a few times where the version number of VLC has prevented UMS from identifying it but it is working normally from what I can see.
I can see that your videos detected are going to be streamed for 2 of them.

2. For the "Apple TV 4k" the conf does not define external subtitles or the format "divx" as supported so it is trying to transcode those videos. It can take a moment for this to start and when there are subtitles as it needs to read the whole file first I think, I'm not entirely sure on this but happens with me too if a video has a lot of subtitles.

I don't know if these will be supported so that may be why they were not included in the conf, but I know VLC supports a lot of formats so I guess it should play these too.
Try playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and choose "No transcoding", If they play normally and it loads external subtitles then I can tweak the conf for you.
(if you do not see it, enable "show the #--Transcode--# folder" in the GUI on the navigation tab, in the web GUI it is in the "virtual folders/files" section)
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Capiray

Post by Capiray »

Hi,

My bad,

To respond to your reply below, my main issues is that the 3 conf in attachment that I call the 3 amigo's will be selected randomly when opening up the VLC App. via the Apple TV device in the proportion for 60% of the time the conf call ''VLC for iOs'' 20% for the conf ''VLC for Apple TV 4k'' and 20% for the conf ''VLC for Desktop''. So I don't have a stable conf selected all the time. Is this normal? If not could it be possible to fix it so I may have the same conf all the time.

As for the external sub I have run couples more test #--Transcode--# folder they all start automatically without pending. But whit the sub it take for have to get the video starting or not at all. But I must add that one it start the sub is available and I can turn it on/off.

Thank you
ums_dbg_2024-03-18-18-43.zip
(4.8 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

This is very strange. I thought you had 3 separate devices but looking again these are all the same one on 192.168.2.12

It uses 3 separate headers so that is why UMS is matching them to 3 separate confs

Code: Select all

User-Agent=VLC-tvOS/610 CFNetwork/1494.0.7 Darwin/23.4.0
User-Agent=Darwin/23.4.0, UPnP/1.0, Portable SDK for UPnP devices/1.14.13
User-Agent=VLC/3.0.19 LibVLC/3.0.19
Which match to the "Apple-TV-4K-VLC", "Apple-iDevice-VLC", and "VLC-for-desktop" confs. I guess it depends on what UMS discovers first.

I have modified the Apple-TV-4K-VLC.conf to match with any of these headers and given it a higher priority so it should not use any other.
This will prevent VLC on any other device being detected properly but should still work for most videos, it will just have the Apple TV icon in UMS.

As it seems that external subtitles work and that bit was missing from the Apple-TV-4K-VLC.conf I have copied that part from the Apple-iDevice-VLC.conf
Attachments
Apple-TV-4K-VLC-mod.conf
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Capiray

Post by Capiray »

Hi,

Thank you for the modification conf it's working perfectly.

But it seems that the Trace is indicated that something should be teak for external subtitles but can't put my finger on what exactly?

Thanks!

[ty-worker 4] net.pms.configuration.FormatConfiguration External subtitles format "SUBRIP" failed to match support line f:mp4 v:h264|mp4 a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3 m:video/mp4
DEBUG 2024-03-20 15:00:31.599 [jupnp-netty-worker 4] net.pms.configuration.ConfigurationReader Reading SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats: "ASS,SUBRIP" (default: "")
TRACE 2024-03-20 15:00:31.599 [jupnp-netty-worker 4] net.pms.configuration.FormatConfiguration But did match a format in the SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats renderer configuration setting]
ums_dbg_2024-03-20-15-41.zip
(3.58 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Here is the .srt file.
Cast.Away.2000.1080p.BrRip.x264.YIFY.zip
(21.44 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Code: Select all

But did match a format in the SupportedExternalSubtitlesFormats renderer configuration setting
Matched support line f:mp4      v:h264|mp4          a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3                                            m:video/mp4
Final verdict: "Cast.Away.2000.1080p.BrRip.x264.YIFY.mp4" will be streamed
It can match a specific subtitle format for certain containers, but if not defined there it can be defined in the supported subtitles section.
This is because some sub formats are sometimes only supported in certain types of videos on some devices.