[Solved] cant play 2160p 4k video

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
iraisok

Re: [Solved] cant play 2160p 4k video

Post by iraisok »

Fast Forward to today. Can anyone tell me how to have 2160P 4K play on latest UMS. See attachment showing good results with 1080P and Error with 2160P.

I thank the entire team for all the improvements from yrs ago.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2024-04-03-16-55.zip
(368.25 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Cheers,
Ira
iraisok

Post by iraisok »

Fast Forward to today using latest release of UMS. 1080P works, 2160P returns error. Samsung 7 Series (43).

See attached debug trace log.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2024-04-03-16-55.zip
(368.25 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Cheers,
Ira
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

There was not an exact match to your TV so it is falling back to an old conf to give some compatibility.
As this conf does not list any 4K support it is transcoding to 1080p but probably not in a way this model is able to play so gives an error.

I have modified the Samsung-UHD.conf which appears to be for the same series as your TV to allow it to match its model number so it should not try transcoding 4K videos.

One exception where it might need to transcode is if a video has the audio in DTS format as Samsung stopped supporting that.
This conf file does have it listed as a supported format so I have left it but if you have videos that audio does not work then this can be changed.
Attachments
Samsung-UHD-mod.conf
(8.6 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
iraisok

Post by iraisok »

mik_s wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:45 pm There was not an exact match to your TV so it is falling back to an old conf to give some compatibility.
As this conf does not list any 4K support it is transcoding to 1080p but probably not in a way this model is able to play so gives an error.

I have modified the Samsung-UHD.conf which appears to be for the same series as your TV to allow it to match its model number so it should not try transcoding 4K videos.

One exception where it might need to transcode is if a video has the audio in DTS format as Samsung stopped supporting that.
This conf file does have it listed as a supported format so I have left it but if you have videos that audio does not work then this can be changed.
Your Conf file worked for my 2160P 4K
I'll handle DTS audio media as you recommended and report back

Thank You!
Cheers,
Ira
iraisok

Post by iraisok »

Hello mik_s,

See attached dbg and screen clip:

I just tried a 1080P HD video that has both AC3 and DTS audio tracks. It has Forced English Subtitles.

1. It defaults to AC3.
2. I do not know how to select DTS. Tried checking "Keep DTS" and "Encoded Audio PassThrough".
a. From your last reply I believe I was to select the Transcode Folder.
b. I saw numerous options (most covered with a UK flag).
Did not know which to select. Would hope it would only show fewer. I know you suggested to tyr Transcode folder for DTS.
c. If you could provide another Conf file for me to try w/o my losing what works to this point, it would be appreciated.
d. Is there a way to select the preferred Audio AC3 or DTS when those tracks are included in the file?
e. I can change Audio tracks on PowerDVD 22 Ultimate.
FYI: Audio is so much better using UMS because my A/V receiver detects AC3 when streamed via UMS but not via PowerDVD.

3. Subtitles do not show for this file?
a. I see them when viewing them on PC using VLC. I do see them on the other videos using your mod'd CONF.
Attachments
Just checked - Keep DTS tracks.  Tried checking Encoded Audio Pass-Through.jpg
Just checked - Keep DTS tracks. Tried checking Encoded Audio Pass-Through.jpg (268.45 KiB) Viewed 947 times
ums_dbg_2024-04-05-07-56.zip
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Cheers,
Ira
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

When the video is transcoded it will use the codec for audio in the TranscodeVideo option which is MPEGTS-H264-AC3 for this conf.
The other one that can be used is AAC but that is not DLNA-compliant.

I know little about DTS but from what I understand if there is a DTS track it will be added as a second selectable audio track if that option is enabled.
Then it is down to the device to use it if it is supported. If DTS is not supported then the AC3 one should be chosen.
If there is only a DTS track and no other audio then the file may not play or play with no audio.

From what I found out from here that TV does not support DTS. Your model group is "20TV_BASIC1 (UHD/FHD)"
Important
The DTS Audio codec is not supported on 2020 TVs. For smooth playback, if a DTS Audio track is part of your manifest, make sure other audio tracks can be selected.
I have updated the conf to remove DTS from the supported formats.
Samsung-UHD-mod.conf
(8.47 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

As the videos playing in the logs are being streamed then it is down to the TV to handle the subs, see if you can turn them on there.

You should avoid transcoding whenever possible as it will lower the quality of your 4K video and the subtitles will need to be burned in to the video so it does not give you the chance to change them after you start playing it. It will probably prevent you from seeking through the video too.

For "Shogun 2024 S01E07 2160p" I don't think it has any subtitles as it does not mention it in the logs. For "Shogun 2024 S01E07 1080p.mkv" it does pick up the internal SUBRIP subtitles. There is no mediainfo displayed as it has already been stored in the database so I can't be sure exactly if they have subs or what format it is in.

I think I know why you do not get any subs for Indy. It uses the PGS subtitle format which is not supported by that TV as it is image based.
If you download an external sub file and have it in the same folder with the same name (with the language code added) then the TV should pick this up to use instead.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
iraisok

Post by iraisok »

Mik_s,

I didn’t realize but now makes sense that it is the Samsung that determines if DTS would be seen by the Yahama that can decode everything. I also thought checking PASS THROUGH meant directly to the Yamaha A/V receiver but I now know it first must be be recognized by the TV even though it gets to Yamaha via HDMI.

Ok on why I don’t see the subs on Raiders. I do see the subs on the other two files.

I’ll replace your last CONF file with your latest mod. I will also save the CONF file to add to future UMS updates. Do you submit your updates?

I appreciate the time you took to share your analysis and create the update for my TV and for others with same.

EDIT:
1. As you see from the UMS log, the Yamaha A/V receiver is another renderer. Is there a way for UMS to use the Yamaha as it decodes DTS plus more? Yes, I only see it from DVD’d, BD’s via my BD Player thru HDMI.

2. The only menu item at bothe the Samsung TV and Yamaha A/V receiver is Information, Configuration is disabled/. Why? What could be done if this was available.
Cheers,
Ira
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

See if your TV has a eARC or other audio passthough and that should play DTS on the Yamaha, but I know nothing about this to be of much help. From what I understand the TV will just ignore the audio and pass it to the Yamaha if set up properly. In this case you would want to keep the last conf that says DTS is supported as you don't want UMS to transcode those videos.

I know nothing about the Yamaha A/V but from the conf that is being used it is audio only and will only be useful for playing music directly from UMS.
When watching videos on the TV UMS has no idea what the Yamaha is doing as it is the TV that passes the audio though.

I don't usually submit the confs to Github as I have no way of testing them so don't know if they are correct. I just focus on getting an existing conf from a device with similar support on to work when there is none yet.
iraisok wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:13 pm 2. The only menu item at bothe the Samsung TV and Yamaha A/V receiver is Information, Configuration is disabled/. Why? What could be done if this was available.
I'm not sure what you mean. Could you post a screenshot?
iraisok

Post by iraisok »

Hi mik_s

1. Yes, the Samsung and Yamaha have eARC and they are connected and I've used it - TV passing audio to Yamaha. No, I've never seen Yamaha display DTS when coming from TV. Absolutely see DTS displayed on Yamaha from DVD and BD's that include it.

2. I'll d/l the second CONF file you created but leave the first mod'd conf file in place. - Tnx!

3. I've attached a screen clip that shows both renderers with Settings and Controls disabled. Just asking what they would do if they were available and why they are not?

I need to tell you, the the video quality and sound is awesome using UMS. I consider UMS the finest s/w media server.
Attachments
Detected Media Renderers -Why are Settings and Controls disabled.  Same for Yamaha RX-A780.jpg
Detected Media Renderers -Why are Settings and Controls disabled. Same for Yamaha RX-A780.jpg (175.67 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Cheers,
Ira
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Check your sound settings on your TV as something must be stopping the Yamaha seeing the DTS track from the TV when UMS is streaming the video.
My old F series Samsung TV does not have eARC but it does have a digital audio out setting that I can select DTS. Yours might have something similar for pass-though.

I'm not sure about the settings option as it does not show as selectable for me either. It may be a place-holder to add settings for individual renderers in the future.

The Controls will be enabled if UMS receives the information to control that device it over the network.
It shows up for my TV but I don't use it to to play things on as I use my PS4 for that.
I found it was a bit hit or miss when I tried it a while ago but this may be because my TV is old and not very responsive. I at least know that it will change the volume as I just tested that.

I am also using a beta version of V14 so it might not be enabled yet in the web interface on main, but should be accessible from the old GUI.