[SOLVED] Videos suddenly not playing normally, ALL file sizes now gone

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
proficit

[SOLVED] Videos suddenly not playing normally, ALL file sizes now gone

Post by proficit »

Hi Mik_s and Boss,

The problem has been solved, and my sincere apologies for not doing more investigative work on my network earlier on.

The issue, as you can imagine, had nothing to do whatsoever with UMS.

The issue was that my AP that was connected to my wall, had a bad connection with the keystone jack, and the AP was never consistently negotiating to 1Gb/s, and the connection was probably dropping to 100Mb/s and then trying to reconnect to 1Gb/s over and over again.

I kinda just wiggled the cable in the jack, and it went back to a solid 1Gb/s. I’ll open the jack up when I have some time, and will punch-down the leads. I probably should just terminate the cable and use a keystone coupler.

As you know, most smart TVs only have a 100MB/s port, so it wasn’t a speed issue, I think the intermittent connection on the keystone jack was probably hosing up the AP, and even though the AP was acting as a switch (since my whole network is wired), I saw that the network speed was be throttled near 1Mb/s at times. After the jack wiggles, we are back in business, and UMS reports the TV’s speed is near ~60-70Mb/s which is just about right…

ALL movies are back with files sizes now showing and are now smoothly streaming (and not transcoding)

Thanks again for offering the help…