Xbox360 Transcoding alternative... FF & RW Works!

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
barnito

Xbox360 Transcoding alternative... FF & RW Works!

Post by barnito »

I got fed up with the way the XBOX360 handles transcoding and found a less painful solution (depending on how you look at it). I added mp4 to StreamExtensions=wma,asf,mp4 in the xbox360.conf and I am in the process of running all my MP4 and MKV files though MKVtoMP4 - http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MkvToMp4 setting the audio to AAC 2.0 to make them play native without transcoding!!. The great thing is it only reencodes the audio to 2 channel, multichannel audio being the thing that makes most files not play on 360 (rare occasions the video bit rate or resolution will throw the same error) The video stream isn't touched and is kept the exact same! This takes under 10 minutes for a full length h264 movie, and many times closer to 3-4 minutes. Now I can FF and RW without an issue. I figured I would share!! I loathe the MKV container. :evil: This is by far a much better solution for the 360 than transcoding on the fly!

PM me if you have any questions about this method.