time skip makes movies go desync.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Berzerk

time skip makes movies go desync.

Post by Berzerk »

I have this problem for as long as I remember since PS3MS & now UMS.

Using the default renderer Mencoder, we literaly must always watch the whole movie in one stroke, since time-skipping using the PS3 square button Image, will definitely make the video/sound go out of sync after a few minutes of playtime (after a time skip). This happens for as long as I can remember, and I expect it's the same for *everyone*.

I've seen numerous changelogs from PS3MS/UMS stating Fixed: Mencoder sync problems. but it looks these are just the usual space-fillers for the changelog.

Please, will we ever be able to time skip some content ?

PS: I'm dutch language, so I use subtitles, which could be related, perhaps that's why so few people are talking about this eternal Mencoder problem.
Madoka

Re: time skip makes movies go desync.

Post by Madoka »

I use subtitles all the time, and I'm able to jump around a show or movie without problems. I usually use the "Goto" feature as it's safest, but I will sometimes use the "Skip Back 15 sec" feature if I can't read a subtitle fast enough. There seems to be another weird subtitle bug where the subtitle line disappears too soon with UMS compared to the computer (using MPC-HC). By too fast I mean that it doesn't stay on screen for the full time as intended by the timestamp for the line in the .srt file. This seems to happen when the end time for the line and the start time for the next line are exactly the same. So, sometimes, I need a quick rewind. But no desync issues.
Berzerk

Post by Berzerk »

Hi Madoka,

By "Goto" do you mean, using the square button that will present you with that timeline with thumbnails at the bottom of the screen where you can jump forward/back by steps of 30sec/1min/5mins/10mins ?

If you"re actually refering to this, then I may have a personal issue for as long as I use PS3MS/UMS, and not a "universally known" problem.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

No, I have a PS3 remote, and I usually hit the triangle button, then chose the second option on the first row. This allows me to chose the exact time I want to jump to. This has worked for me with no desync issues. I can try your way later an see what happens.

Edit: I just tried the square button, and I don't get any desync issues.
Berzerk

Post by Berzerk »

Thanks for the tip regarding the triangle button. Regarding my problem, it's not going desync immediately after time skipping, but rather a few minutes later (perhaps when the UMS buffer ran out, i suspect?)
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

If your buffer runs out, your video will freeze, not desync. I have a few files where UMS cannot keep sync not matter what settings I try. In those cases, like you, I will slowly lose sync over many minutes. It has nothing to do with time skipping. If a file plays correctly when I don't jump around, it will also keep sync if I jump ahead. If it doens't, it will lose sync again when I jump ahead.

Try checking the Force framerate parsed from ffmpeg box. That will solve most of my desync issues.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Post further info from MediaInfo tool.
If audio has a delay and "A/V sync alternative method" is ticked/enabled. Delay is ignored and also MEncoder internal "auto-sync" method is disabled.
Try to untick it in UMS GUI
SergioBigRed

Post by SergioBigRed »

I have the same exact issue. Quick solution when the desync starts after a few minute is to slightly touch the central navigation key of the PS3 remote as to go backward 1.5x and then immediatly press play.

In all cases it syncs back video and audio. :D
Berzerk

Post by Berzerk »

ExSport wrote:Post further info from MediaInfo tool.
If audio has a delay and "A/V sync alternative method" is ticked/enabled. Delay is ignored and also MEncoder internal "auto-sync" method is disabled.
Try to untick it in UMS GUI
I don't think it's that easy to pin-point, since it happens on *ALL* movies, hundreds of them (in .mkv format, and external subs)
whoDunIt

Post by whoDunIt »

I too have this problem, i run UMS in w7 x64 on 5 different machines using both AMD and Intel cpu's streamed to PS3's. I can scan through @x1.5 just fine but going x10 gives a network error, i have a gigabit lan. Using the time jump in 1 minute increments always causes out of sync issues that only restarting the video will fix.

While writing this i decided to check this out after upgrading one machine to 3.0 alpha, so far it seems to be fixed. I tested it on a series i have always encountered this issue. Ill upgrade the rest of my servers and if i have any problems ill check back.

Anyone else confirm 3.0 alpha fixes the issue?

EDIT: It is still happening but not every time.