[RESOLVED] How to hide the "Web" folder?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
nicomess

[RESOLVED] How to hide the "Web" folder?

Post by nicomess »

Question:
How can i hide the "Web" folder in UMS?

System Information:
- Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
- UMS 2.6.4 ( Install-Location: C:\Program Files(x86)\Universal Media Server )

Actions taken:
- Commented out every entry in <UMS-Folder>/Web.conf
- Renamed <UMS-Folder>/Web.conf to <UMS-Folder>/Web.conf.bak as suggested here http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... f=4&t=1052

UMS is still showing the Web folder with all the default entries like "TED","Pictures", ... Any suggestions?
Last edited by nicomess on Sat May 18, 2013 10:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
SharkHunter
Developer

Re: How to hide the "Web" folder?

Post by SharkHunter »

Pls upload your logs. It might need a restart to take effect...
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
nicomess

Post by nicomess »

Hi SharkHunter,

thank you for your quick reply. The hint to the debug logs was enough for me to solve the issue.

I had deleted the WEB.conf file from C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server and wondered why nothing happened.

The "real" WEB.conf ( and UMS.conf ) files seem to live in C:\ProgramData\UMS.

Solution:
Delete the file C:\ProgramData\UMS\WEB.conf. ( or comment out every entry in the file with # )

Additinal Information:
To find out which profile folder was used click on "Logs" in UMS and search for the following lines:
05-17 18:35:46 Profile directory: C:\ProgramData\UMS
05-17 18:35:46 Profile path: C:\ProgramData\UMS\UMS.conf
Furthermore you can specify a profile folder by setting the environment variable UMS_PROFILE.
FAQ entry: http://www.universalmediaserver.com/faq/#Setup2

@SharkHunter

Could you quickly elaborate what the UMS.conf and WEB.conf files in the folder where the executable lives are for? Are they templates?
They don't seem to be used ( over the one's in the ProgramData folder ) by default even if they exist.

This co-existence is kind of confusing ... a FAQ entry might help prevent issues of this kind with WEB.conf and/or UMS.conf in the future.
Zero3K

Post by Zero3K »

nicomess wrote:
Could you quickly elaborate what the UMS.conf and WEB.conf files in the folder where the executable lives are for? Are they templates?
They don't seem to be used ( over the one's in the ProgramData folder ) by default even if they exist.

This co-existence is kind of confusing ... a FAQ entry might help prevent issues of this kind with WEB.conf and/or UMS.conf in the future.
I agree with this part of your post. Maybe the developr could add an option to specify a profile directory or to use the installation directory as the profile directory.
SharkHunter
Developer

Re: [RESOLVED] How to hide the "Web" folder?

Post by SharkHunter »

The one in ProgramData are the ones that are used. The other ones are relics/templates/whatever. I think those are copied during install to program data but i'm not sure.
The UMS.conf can be edited from within the UMS gui and the file your working with then is always the correct one. Maybe we should add an option "remove web.conf"??
Zero3K

Post by Zero3K »

I am fine with an option to remove the WEB.conf file.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

You could also switch the Enable external network config option off as UMS then will not read the WEB.conf. This will have the side effect that the automatic Plugin system and the updater won't work but perhaps that's something you can live with.
wongnog

Post by wongnog »

Hey Sharkhunter, old thread I know but I am constantly having to go back to find this to remember how to get rid of the web folder. I think it would be great to have a checkbox for Hide the "Web" folder, along with the other selections in the Navigation/Share Settings tab. I think it would make more sense if the UMS.conf, VirtualFolders.conf and Web.conf files located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server were the ones actually used, then we don't need the C:\ProgramData\UMS folder, but that's just my preference.