Accessing Media Server from a different Subnet

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Zero3K

Accessing Media Server from a different Subnet

Post by Zero3K »

How do I access a media server that's using UMS and is on a different subnet (192.168.0.x) than the IP (10.0.1.x) which is trying to connect to it?
geaves

Re: Accessing Media Server from a different Subnet

Post by geaves »

You haven't actually explained how or why this is setup like.....simple home networks do not require computers on different subnets, my apologies for being abrupt but this type of scenario for home networking is unnecessary and would require an understanding on network topology.
Zero3K

Post by Zero3K »

Well, I have a router in the basement and another one on the first floor. The one in the basement has its wireless disabled and the one in the first floor has it enabled. I am using the router in the basement to connect my PC, PS3 and Cable Modem to it and the one upstairs is for connecting wirelessly throughout the rest of the house.
geaves

Post by geaves »

Zero3K wrote:Well, I have a router in the basement and another one on the first floor. The one in the basement has its wireless disabled and the one in the first floor has it enabled. I am using the router in the basement to connect my PC, PS3 and Cable Modem to it and the one upstairs is for connecting wirelessly throughout the rest of the house.
The simplest option therefore is to change the ip address of your first floor router to a 'static' ip address from the address pool in the basement, also disable DHCP on the router upstairs.

The really simplest option is to have a wireless AP on the first floor. ;)

Apologies....should have explained better....what you are trying to achieve is to use the router on the first floor as a wireless extender....so it must have the same SSID and security password as the 1 in the basement.
Chyaddo

Post by Chyaddo »

:D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Chyaddo on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zero3K

Post by Zero3K »

I fixed it by assigning the IP address of 10.0.1.12 to the 2nd router and then moved the Ethernet cord from the "Internet" plug to the "1" plug.
geaves

Post by geaves »

Zero3K wrote:I fixed it by assigning the IP address of 10.0.1.12 to the 2nd router and then moved the Ethernet cord from the "Internet" plug to the "1" plug.
Glad you got it sorted... :)