Dish DVR Receiver, Model Xip813 Hopper as a Media Renderer

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
rsilvers

Dish DVR Receiver, Model Xip813 Hopper as a Media Renderer

Post by rsilvers »

Hi,

Purchased a HP Win 7 Notebook, turned on the streaming options and the Notebook displayed on the Dish Home Media device list and I was able to access all the media on the Notebook. The Notebook is Wi-Fi connected to my home network. I also have Media Sharing on a XP Desktop using Windows Media Player 11 and can access that media with the Dish Home Media app.

I noticed the Hopper was showing in my network on the Notebook. Not being familiar with Windows 7 or the Windows Media Player 12 streaming options I started to investigate and found I could send (stream) media to the Hopper using DLNA. You can turn on streaming options to the Hopper either from Network view or from Windows Media Player 12. see my setup i used on my personal website http://home.mebtel.net/~rsilvers/hopper.htm.

This setup was working "great", but after using this feature some of my recorded movies on my Hopper DVR would not play and seemed to be corrupted. When I tried to play a recorded movie I would get a message showing "event playback finished press play to start over or select an option below" which the options below are delete, dvr, live tv.. i press play and it does nothing but takes you to the very end of the movie and sits on pause as when it does when the movie is over. It doesn't do this on all movies just certain ones and they will not play on dishanywhere.com either using the sling adapter. Only way I can get them to play, was to delete and re-record.

I have posted on the Dish support forum, called Dish customer service and the only thing they can come up with is "you need to replace the Hopper but you will have to buy an external hard drive and transfer the movies that still work before we replace". Have also looked thru all the Hopper PDF manuals, searched the internet and can't find anything much about the Hopper Media Renderer feature or "bugs" it has created.

If anyone has any information on how to fix this without replacing the Hopper please let know.....

Thanks,
Rick
DeFlanko

Re: Dish DVR Receiver, Model Xip813 Hopper as a Media Rende

Post by DeFlanko »

Rick welcome, and to be clear this is not a Dish Network Community but a UMS community, where we try to get media to stream or transcode to your media device...

that being said...

if it DNLA spec there are a few tools that you can use to determine what MIME's are allowed by the hopper.

I like using: UPnP Inspector

Unfortunately i don't have Dish, i have directv, but it gets the job done none the less.

I used this as well as building my own CONF file for Directv you should see about doing the same for the Hopper and using UMS to stream your media to the hopper.

Also to determine what your Media is on your PC there is MediaInfo.