Playback pauses streaming to PS3

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Daywatch

Playback pauses streaming to PS3

Post by Daywatch »

This seems to have been happening for a few versions now - I can't remember exactly which version it started with, but it seems to be happening more frequently now with version 1.4.0

If I am streaming a file to my PS3, sometimes it 'pauses' itself after about 10 or 15 minutes. I can't resume playback so I have to stop and restart then fast-forward to the spot where it paused, after which it plays fine. I have my PS3 connected to a 1GB wired connection, so I don't think it is a problem with not streaming fast enough. To make it even better to troubleshoot, I can't reproduce the problem. A file that pauses one time when I play it will play perfectly fine the next time I play it.

Has anyone else run into this issue, or have any ideas on what might be causing it?
The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back...
SharkHunter
Developer

Re: Playback pauses streaming to PS3

Post by SharkHunter »

Yes I've seen it to on some files/streams. It seems like the buffering has become a bit itchy. If I tweak my meomory settings stuff works better. I also think there might be an issue with 6 channel audio (try using 2 only) and the DTS muxing etc. I use 700 MB has memory (which is a lot) try using closer to 3-400 MB.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
smirk

Post by smirk »

I've had the same problem, but I don't know if the cause on my system is the same as on yours. In my case, I think it ran short on RAM and everything screeched to a halt when it started swapping.

My UMS is installed on a Windows Home Server box with 2 GB memory but when UMS is working, Task Manager shows Java taking up something like 680 MB. The drive was clattering like crazy, I think it went to virtual memory and couldn't keep up with UMS' file requests.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

There are a lot of memory options to consider.
1) The heap that java gets when its starts. Set to 768 default. Try lowering this in case of problem.
2) The transcoding buffer size. It should be fitted in the above heap. So setting the heap to 700 and the transcode buffer to 600 will most likely not work.
3) The memory the tanscode program (mencoder/ffmpeg) needs. Unknown and uncotrollabe

All this shoul fit with all other programs on your machine. Lower the once you can and close all other (not needed) programs
Daywatch

Post by Daywatch »

I don't think I have a RAM issue - I have 12GB in my PC (running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit) and I usually close other apps when I am running UMS.

The first suggestions Sharkhunter gave seemed to have worked - I changed the AC3 setting to 2 channel from 5.1, and tweaked the memory settings a bit. So far I have streamed a few different things to my PS3 without running into the issue. Keeping my fingers crossed... :)

Thanks for the help!
The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back...
Gareee

Post by Gareee »

I've seen this on occasion, but the delay is just a few seconds. I figured it was just buffering, but never saw this until builds in the past few months. (Default memory settings here)
khaki54

Post by khaki54 »

Yeah I see it all the time on wired gb, though way more frequently on 1080p than 720p. I also have 12 GB ram. With the heap set to default.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

I bashed my head bloody for quite sometime with this. Can't say waht the problem is but I have some ideas that needs some input from you here.
1) What type of video are you trying to stream? Not the contianer but the video format. I think there is an issue with mpeg4.
2) On my BRAVIA I get a complete stop after say 1 hour and then I can squeeze an extra 30 mins out of the video.
3) Are you using java 6 or 7?
I've looked over the buffering code and it has no real substansial changes lately so my hunch is that it is something outside....
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

I don't know if I have the same problem, but for me some streaming also goes haywire.. after a few minutes the video just stops (pressing pause and wait a while will play the file for a few minutes and then the same happens).
I start the program with a bat -Xmx1536M (as the first time I installed it with a higher default heap, but that crashed the application, don't know if it's fixed with later builds)..

But i also had some problems with playing iso dvd's (which seemed to have the same problem).. But with a lot of other 720p movies I really don't have any problems, with or without subtitles..

I included the debuglogs for the one that just keeps choking.. it's the first episode of 'Episodes - season 1'.. I hope the debuglogs help.. Oh, I'm also wired gigabit and on a PS3 with rebug 3.55 CFW..
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(19.87 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

SuperDre wrote:I don't know if I have the same problem, but for me some streaming also goes haywire.. after a few minutes the video just stops (pressing pause and wait a while will play the file for a few minutes and then the same happens).
I start the program with a bat -Xmx1536M (as the first time I installed it with a higher default heap, but that crashed the application, don't know if it's fixed with later builds)..

But i also had some problems with playing iso dvd's (which seemed to have the same problem).. But with a lot of other 720p movies I really don't have any problems, with or without subtitles..

I included the debuglogs for the one that just keeps choking.. it's the first episode of 'Episodes - season 1'.. I hope the debuglogs help.. Oh, I'm also wired gigabit and on a PS3 with rebug 3.55 CFW..
What videoformat is 'Episodes - season 1'? mpeg4 gives me some problems. And sometimes also aac audio (BRAVIA forces transcoding of everything). I think mencoder is the culprit. But we'll need to dig deeper.