Ignore Files

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
ratchet

Ignore Files

Post by ratchet »

I see the section on how to ignore folders but how do I ignore specific files or repetitively named files?

thanks
mik_s

Re: Ignore Files

Post by mik_s »

I don't think that is an option, any media in a shared folder will be be available to any renderers that connect to UMS, depending on the security settings.
If you have files you don't want to share then put them in another folder.

Could you give more information on what you need this for? If there is a good use for it then it might be something that can be added.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
ratchet

Post by ratchet »

There are artwork files, etc used by other apps that aren't used by UMS. I would like UMS to ignore these so the other apps could still use them.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

That could be useful.

One scenario I can think of is for when working on video editing and you have all your assets and previous versions in the same folder but want to see how it will look on the TV, It would be easier to find if only your latest version was shared with UMS and everything else is ignored.

What do you mean with repetitively named files? Could you give some examples for your situation?

Work has begun on improving the access control using the web GUI and I think filtering by file name or type could be included with that.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
ratchet

Post by ratchet »

meaning for example like, 1.txt, 2.txt etc or files like eg. artwork
boss

Post by boss »

Could you not have a sub folder for these files and set UMS to ignore that subfolder?
Or... do the files need to be in the same folder for the other apps to work correctly?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Non media files like .txt files should not be shown. It could be that your renderer is requesting all filetypes so that may be why you can see them.

What device are you streaming to? It would be helpful to see logs to know what is being sent to your device (see the section in red above)

I'll make a suggestion about what filetypes to share on Github as could be useful if you have a mixed folder with pictures, video, and music but only want video to be shared.

One example is if you have MP3s from an album but the folder also includes artwork and scans of the booklet, you probably don't want those to be visible when you are just interested in the music.
ratchet

Post by ratchet »

boss wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:17 pm Could you not have a sub folder for these files and set UMS to ignore that subfolder?
Or... do the files need to be in the same folder for the other apps to work correctly?
same folder
ratchet

Post by ratchet »

mik_s wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:05 am Non media files like .txt files should not be shown. It could be that your renderer is requesting all filetypes so that may be why you can see them.

What device are you streaming to? It would be helpful to see logs to know what is being sent to your device (see the section in red above)

I'll make a suggestion about what filetypes to share on Github as could be useful if you have a mixed folder with pictures, video, and music but only want video to be shared.

One example is if you have MP3s from an album but the folder also includes artwork and scans of the booklet, you probably don't want those to be visible when you are just interested in the music.
Sorry that was just to make a point. It would be good to add certain files. thanks.
boss

Post by boss »

Can you be more specific as to what your folder structure is.
Do you have seperate folders for:
Video
Graphics
Music
Or .... are there a mix of these file types in single folders.

And

What are the file types or extensions of the files you want to ignore.
You mention "artwotk files". So I guess they are graphic files with what extensions.

There is no function in UMS to ignore file names but with more information, there might be a workaround.