Ongoing Sony Aspect Ratio Issues

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Paradox

Ongoing Sony Aspect Ratio Issues

Post by Paradox »

As per requested by subjunk here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1954&start=10#p11013

One debug file playing with unaltered original BraviaEX.conf file = Resulting image is squashed
One debug file with KeepAspectRatio=true set in BraviaEX.conf file = Resulting image is still squashed
One debug file with CustomMencoderOptions set to CustomMencoderOptions =-vf softskip,expand=::::1:16/9:2,scale=1283:720 -lavcopts aspect=16/9 =Image displayed perfectly

Photo of how things look with Original BraviaEX.conf file and with KeepAspectRatio=true set
http://s28.postimg.org/55yxq5zhp/badaspect.jpg

Photo of how things look with above CustomMencoderOptions set
http://s7.postimg.org/oz7dk6ma3/Correctaspect.jpg

KeepAspectRatio=True does not work on Sony.
Attachments
CustomMencoderOptions.ums_dbg.zip
(17.11 KiB) Downloaded 721 times
KeepAspectRatio.ums_dbg.zip
(17.06 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
OriginalbraviaEXRenderer.ums_dbg.zip
(16.89 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
valib
Developer

Re: Ongoing Sony Aspect Ratio Issues

Post by valib »

You can check Change video resolution at the Mencoder General settings tab and set Width to 1280 or 1283 and Heigth to 720. In the renderer.conf set KeepAspectRatio=true and do not use CustomMencoderOptions. This should work like your CustomMencoderOptions but the problem is that UMS will scale for all renderers. If it will be OK maybe we should move these options from PmsConfiguration to RendererConfiguration to be renderer specific.

EDIT: Oops I forgot that this code

Code: Select all

MaxVideoWidth=1280 #you can try also 1283
MaxVideoHeight=720
must be in your renderer.conf
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Ill try all that next valib, but pretty sure i have tried that before in earlier versions and what happens in earlier versions is if you change the resolution on the Mencoder settings tab to say 1280x720 is that everything ends up scaled to 16:9. Example if you have a 2.35:1 aspect movie everything gets stretched to 16:9 (basically the reverse of the squashing effect people look skinny). If you have a 4:3 movie everything gets stretched to 16:9 again and everything then again has the squashed effect, only difference being it obviously fills the screen. I do no think changing the resolution on the Mencoder tab is a solution even if it does work now, if people use a Bravia and other devices then will that change on the Mencoder tab not get applied for all devices and thus may work for the Bravia but mess things up on their other devices, and/or they would have to set keepaspectratio=true in all the renderer conf files they use?

The difference i think is in the Mencoder tab that manually sets a fixed resolution, where as the MANUALLY set CustomMencoderOptions is basically creating a window which is 16:9 in size for the video to be displayed in. If you play back say 4:3 content its really displaying it in 16:9 but is just placing black bars either side to keep the aspect looking correct. Thats my understanding (might be wrong) anyway.

Setting MaxVideoWidth and MaxVideoHeight in conjunction with Keepaspectratio=true in the Bravia renderer config likewise basically does nothing unless the video resolution is LARGER than the resolution you set. (IE if you set MaxVideoWidth=1283 and MaxVideoHeight=720 but had a 1920x1080 video file it would scale down correctly, for SD content like say 720x400 it does not seem to scale up just keeps the same resolution). Setting it to a resolution below 720p kinda defeats the object as then it will scale everything down. (I only use 1283x720 as its a happy medium of quality and transcode speed).

As i said though ill do some more experimenting things may have changed since i last seriously fiddled around.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Right have tried the above and as suspected 2.35:1 and similar content gets stretched to 16:9 full screen (everyone looks skinny) and 4:3 and similar gets stretched horizontally (the everything looks fat effect).

Have also noticed something from the Keepaspect log i uploaded the expand command is set as -vf expand=-0:-0:::0:16/9 in that, not sure why. Even though it should make no difference being zero Negative values for w and h are treated as offsets to the original size. Maybe for some reason Sony TVs dont like that? oR it could be there is no figure set after the 16/9 part to tell it to round the resolution up. Apart from those thngs and the command having no scale resolution set thats about the only things i can think would make a difference.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

After a long discussion it semms to me that the problem is only with Sony renderers and the most elegant solution is to use CustomMencoderOptions =-vf softskip,expand=::::1:16/9:2,scale=1283:720 -lavcopts aspect=16/9 for renderers which need it and not to hardcode it.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Well thanks for looking into it further Valib, maybe this command and the FFmpeg one you came up with could be added to the bravia conf files that require it in future releases. Given how many posts there are about Sony aspect issues it may go some way to help people.

Appreciate the time you and subjunk have taken.