[Solved] Samsung UE48H6670 subtitle problem

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
pipin

Re: Samsung UE48H6670 subtitle problem

Post by pipin »

I have an UE48H6600 and will try this, too.
Regards,
Jens
-----------
Devices used with UMS : - Windows 10 PC, Samsung UE32 F4580SS, Samsung UE48H6600
Franneke

Post by Franneke »

valib wrote:Please add

Code: Select all

MediaInfo=true
to the SamsungAllShare.conf and try it again. You should see in the TRANSCODE folder of the video you can test the

Code: Select all

[No encoding] {Sub: SubRip/your preffered language}
Try to play it. Thanks
Hello again,

I have added this and when I go into the TRANSCODE folder I see many files, but only file [No Encoding] seems to work (1.08Gb) because all the other files are 0b.
When I play that file, I get no subtitles.
I have attached the debug log and a screenshot of the settings, maybe I have something wrong there (everything is the same as in PS3MS)

Thanks again!
Attachments
settings screenshot
settings screenshot
UMS.jpg (201.04 KiB) Viewed 13105 times
ums_dbg.zip
debug log
(43.14 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Quick look to the log and didn't spotted that any subs were loaded (didn't read whole log)
I spotted another weird thing in log:
TRACE 2014-07-11 08:05:15.469 [New I/O worker #5] Network debugger: [No encoding] http-get:*:video/avi:DLNA.ORG_OP=01 size=1161238921 duration=00:42:39.00 http://192.168.0.121:5001/get/0$6$20$1$ ... V.X264.mkv
Root cause is in renderer.conf:
MimeTypesChanges=audio/wav=audio/L16|video/x-matroska=video/avi|video/x-flv=video/mp4|audio/mp3=audio/L16|video/mp4=video/mpeg
Why this? If TV supports MKV file you should not override its mime type to AVI.
Comment this line with leading #, restart UMS and try again (it is good to write which file you tried and at what time so we can easily find it in log)
EDIT:
Enabling MediaInfo=True is not enough. You have to define "Supported=" lines so UMS will know what is natively supported and what not.
As a start try adding "Supported = f:mkv m:video/x-matroska" to the renderer.conf which defines mkv files as fully supported so no transcoding is needed.
Franneke

Post by Franneke »

ExSport wrote:Quick look to the log and didn't spotted that any subs were loaded (didn't read whole log)
TRACE 2014-07-11 08:05:15.469 [New I/O worker #5] Network debugger: [No encoding] http-get:*:video/avi:DLNA.ORG_OP=01 size=1161238921 duration=00:42:39.00 http://192.168.0.121:5001/get/0$6$20$1$ ... V.X264.mkv
MimeTypesChanges=audio/wav=audio/L16|video/x-matroska=video/avi|video/x-flv=video/mp4|audio/mp3=audio/L16|video/mp4=video/mpeg
Comment this line with leading #, restart UMS and try again (it is good to write which file you tried and at what time so we can easily find it in log)
EDIT:
Enabling MediaInfo=True is not enough. You have to define "Supported=" lines so UMS will know what is natively supported and what not.
As a start try adding "Supported = f:mkv m:video/x-matroska" to the renderer.conf which defines mkv files as fully supported so no transcoding is needed.
Hello

I have added this, but it does not make much of a difference.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Franneke wrote:
ExSport wrote:Quick look to the log and didn't spotted that any subs were loaded (didn't read whole log)
EDIT:
Hello

I have added this, but it does not make much of a difference.
Did you Quit UMS and restarted it do it can reread the conf files?
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Franneke

Post by Franneke »

Wolfgan wrote:
Did you Quit UMS and restarted it do it can reread the conf files?
Yes, I always quit UMS and test afterwards.
Franneke

Post by Franneke »

pipin wrote:I have an UE48H6600 and will try this, too.
Were you able to test this with your TV? I am curious if it worked for you.
bcs

Post by bcs »

Hi!

I had the same problem with a D series Samsung TV (UE40D6500). If a subtitle track was present in a MKV file UMS always transcodes it regardless of any settings (UMS transcoding setting, renderer settings). When UMS transcodes a video no subtitles on the TV whatsoever (no embedded subs nor external subs). I had to remux the MKV file with MKVToolNix to get rid of the embedded subtitle track. After that the new remuxed MKV - without the subtitle track just a video track and one or more audio tracks - worked perfectly. This time no transcoding, but external subtitles were available on the TV. So if the video is transcoded then no subs on a Samsung TV, if no transcoding just streaming the external subs is there.

After a few days of testing and tweaking finally I found a solution. I removed (actually renamed ;) ) the ffmpeg.exe from the UMS program folder and restarted UMS. (It's a long story why I decided to remove the ffmpeg.exe). After that everything worked perfect. An MVK with embedded subs is still transcoded but the external subtitle become available on the TV.

So it seems the FFmpeg transcoding engine have some issues with subtitle handling. Interestingly one can disable the FFmpeg transcoding engine in the GUI but it does not make any difference. Whether the FFMpeg engine is enabled or disabled all MKV videos with a subtitle track are transcoded by the FFmpeg engine (according to the logs). The only way to disable FFmpeg is to remove the ffmpeg.exe file.

I hope you guys understood what is was trying to say. :) All Samsung TV owners who have issues with the subtitles give it a try and remove (by renaming) the ffmpeg.exe! :)

bcs

P.S.: I'm using version 3.6.4
Franneke

Post by Franneke »

bcs wrote:Hi!

I had the same problem with a D series Samsung TV (UE40D6500). If a subtitle track was present in a MKV file UMS always transcodes it regardless of any settings (UMS transcoding setting, renderer settings). When UMS transcodes a video no subtitles on the TV whatsoever (no embedded subs nor external subs). I had to remux the MKV file with MKVToolNix to get rid of the embedded subtitle track. After that the new remuxed MKV - without the subtitle track just a video track and one or more audio tracks - worked perfectly. This time no transcoding, but external subtitles were available on the TV. So if the video is transcoded then no subs on a Samsung TV, if no transcoding just streaming the external subs is there.

After a few days of testing and tweaking finally I found a solution. I removed (actually renamed ;) ) the ffmpeg.exe from the UMS program folder and restarted UMS. (It's a long story why I decided to remove the ffmpeg.exe). After that everything worked perfect. An MVK with embedded subs is still transcoded but the external subtitle become available on the TV.

So it seems the FFmpeg transcoding engine have some issues with subtitle handling. Interestingly one can disable the FFmpeg transcoding engine in the GUI but it does not make any difference. Whether the FFMpeg engine is enabled or disabled all MKV videos with a subtitle track are transcoded by the FFmpeg engine (according to the logs). The only way to disable FFmpeg is to remove the ffmpeg.exe file.

I hope you guys understood what is was trying to say. :) All Samsung TV owners who have issues with the subtitles give it a try and remove (by renaming) the ffmpeg.exe! :)

bcs

P.S.: I'm using version 3.6.4
Thanks for the tip but I have tried this too, and still not subtitles on my TV.
It has got to do something about the way Samsung handles the files. I hope that you guys figure out what to change.
Luckily I have kept my PS3 and that still works.
bcs

Post by bcs »

Hi!

Are you trying to use the embedded sub track or a separate sub file (.str)? My D series Samsung supports only external subs (must be the same filename as the video file). Maybe your H series have the same issue when streaming through UMS. You should put the subs into an external file and give it a shot (after removing the ffmpeg.exe :) ).

bcs