lg 42ub820v support request

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
draki

lg 42ub820v support request

Post by draki »

Hi - I have a new TV - lg 42ub820v - which I'm pretty happy with :)

Trying to get UMS working with its DLNA but am struggling to get DTS working.. I'm using the LG-WebOS.conf and am not sure how to edit it to support DTS (which the TV 'should' support)

any help would be much appreciated

thank you
draki

Re: lg 42ub820v support request

Post by draki »

Oh, and support for 4k please! I hadn't noticed that the 4k samples I had were being downsampled to 1080p :)

thank you!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi draki, most renderers don't support 4k video over a network so by default we scale to 1080p. If you are willing to test 4k video we can try it :)
To add support for your device I will need a log from 5.0.0, this will tell us how to recognize your device. Please follow the link in my signature.
draki

Post by draki »

hi Subjunk - thanks for the reply and the support

I *think* 4k is supported as it seems plex supports it for similar TVs - but it looks like it might be a limitation on the LG DLNA client :(

here's my log file:
ums_dbg.zip
debug
(322.56 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
TV is "[TV][LG]42UB820V-ZH"
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Usually I add support for devices based on their user manuals, but I can't find the manual for your TV, and for similar TVs (other LG 4k TVs) their manuals don't mention their file compatibility, so we might have to do some trial and error here.
I made a version based on our LG WebOS config, and tweaked it to allow 4k videos. If you can try a 4k video and let me know if it's working that would be great: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/UMS/UMS-10c4973.exe
draki

Post by draki »

Thanks!

I'm actually run ubuntu - any chance you can make a linux version?

and I found this summarising the supported codecs:
http://eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/gb/12005.html#link2
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Ah my fault for not seeing that, sure here's a Linux version. According to that page, the TV only supports DTS and 4k via USB (and it only supports DTS inside AVI containers), but these things have been known to be wrong before so I left the 4k support in for you to test.
UMS will transcode DTS to AC-3 for you.
Also some of the settings on that page are a bit confusing - for example in the main table it doesn't list HE-AAC support for .ts containers, but then there's a table below that that does list it. So I just added everything from both tables and if you find any files that don't work we can always tell UMS to transcode them.

http://www.spirton.com/uploads/UMS/UMS-e394b74.tgz
draki

Post by draki »

Thanks

Not working though - I'm getting "this file type is not supported" - having looked into this a little more I think it's at least partly a limitation of LG's smartshare DLNA client

- it seems that you can get 4k working over DLNA but you need to use a different client app
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daDy91La69k)

the other formats seem to work - but I think the DTS support needs a little tweaking

log file attached
ums_dbg.zip
(612.66 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the testing :) Looks like we will have to go back to transcoding 4k video to 1080p then unfortunately.
You said DTS support needs tweaking, what happens when you play a video with DTS audio? Judging by the logs, it's correctly transcoding to AC-3 for Branded
draki

Post by draki »

I agree SubJunk - many thanks for the help anyway - much appreciated :)

re: DTS - just a lot of noise/ feedback - I think i probably need to play with the audio settings a little