How to get the file path using UMS?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
raulpaes

How to get the file path using UMS?

Post by raulpaes »

I have an web application installed on my "server machine" which is supposed to play videos that are located in the "recording machine". They both run windows.

I installed UMS on the Recording Machine and shared the video directory.

I can stream the videos perfectly using the default UMS page just by accessing: <recording machine IP>:9001. And when i play a video i get this url adress(format): http://10.134.220.118:9001/play/0%242%241%241%2410

But... that's not actually what i need.

I need to save the file path for every video recorded, and this path has to be "executable" from my web application which is in the "server machine"

For example:
In the recording machine:
- I record the actual video and save it in the VideoDiretory
- And also save a new record on a table from the "recording machine database" with the video path, so i can send the video path to be registered on my server machine.
- And at last the server machine must be able to run the video just by using the video path.

In resume: how can i get the videopath using UMS? (For example:10.134.220.118:9001/VideoDirectory/2015/January/myvideoname.mp4)

Is it possible ?
Agent_Rocket

Re: How to get the file path using UMS?

Post by Agent_Rocket »

not sure what you are trying to achieve here, but i think (depending on the operation system on both servers) an easier solution would be to make a file share on the recording machine and access that from the server machine.
roshedwardd

Re: How to get the file path using UMS?

Post by roshedwardd »

You also need to have Java installed on Linux. You should set environment variable JAVA_HOME to JRE installation path. After that you have to decompress the setup archive for Linux with:

> > tar xzf filename.tgz

You have to install MPlayer, MEncoder, FFmpeg and tsMuxeR. If you like to stream web content also install VLC. Make sure that all binaries of these tools can be found via PATH variable. Start a shell, cd to your installation directory and start UMS with:

> > ./UMS.sh

Check permissions and set them if necessary with:

> > chmod ug%2Bx UMS.sh

You can either use packages from your Linux distrubution or compile the tools by yourself. Sometimes distributors do not set important compiler options, e.g. scaling support for FFmpeg. So I recommend you to compile it from source.