Constant 25% CPU usage even video not being played

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
recognosco

Re: Constant 25% CPU usage even video not being played

Post by recognosco »

quick question - what version java do you have? because i uninstalled older versions of java and installed the latest version (jre1.8.0_80) and the cpu usage issues went away. or at least i haven't noticed since java update.
Nake

Post by Nake »

I have 1.8.0_40 64-bit and 32-bit. Not sure if having both of these causes the problem with 5.0.1. But I don't have any problems with 4.4.0.
cojones

Post by cojones »

having the same problem here. Always minimized UMS 5.0.1 Java 1.8.0_40-b26
never had CPU problems prior to 5.0.x
Nake

Post by Nake »

Still no more replies from devs? :( I hope they don't add some cool features that I could miss if I can't upgrade to newest versions due to this bug.
Nake

Post by Nake »

I didn't get chance to test 5.1.0 version, if this problem is fixed in it because BubbleUPnP didn't want to play any files. I had two locations, one is directly from UMS, which had files in it, but they dind't play (most likely because unsupported by Chromecast) and second one is via BubbleUPnP server, which had no files at all for unknown reason.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi guys, I've made an issue for this on our tracker at https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... issues/513
Nake

Post by Nake »

I was unable to test this issue with Version 5.1.1.1-Java8 because it did not start anymore after restarting PC. I had no time to try to fix it so I downgraded to 4.4.0-Java8 which has no problems.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

It seems to me as a bug in the startPoll() in the Chromecast.player. In the log Nake sent there are every 1 sec an error

Code: Select all

Bad chromecast mediastate javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Connection has been shutdown: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
It could be also the Chomecast or the network problem. There is also running BubbleUPnP or TumpoCast on the same computer as UMS is running. It may also caused this problem. UMS version 4.4.0 is working OK because the Chromecast support was introduced in the 5.0 version
Nake

Post by Nake »

valib wrote:It seems to me as a bug in the startPoll() in the Chromecast.player. In the log Nake sent there are every 1 sec an error

Code: Select all

Bad chromecast mediastate javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Connection has been shutdown: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
It could be also the Chomecast or the network problem. There is also running BubbleUPnP or TumpoCast on the same computer as UMS is running. It may also caused this problem. UMS version 4.4.0 is working OK because the Chromecast support was introduced in the 5.0 version
Yes I have BubbleUPNP running. Can you even use only UMS and play all videos via Chromecast on TV?
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Yes I recommend to stop BubbleUPNP and try to use Chromecast. The Chromecast support is included in UMS since 4.0.0 UMS version.